• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trying to connect my HTC hero to my laptop, keeps going to "unknown driver"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to connect my HTC hero to my laptop, keeps going to "unknown driver"

Losing the will to live on this one.

Have HTC sync and the driver installed ok on my laptop as it is on my desktop, on the XP desktop when I connect the phone it comes up OK, when I connect to my Vista laptop it defaults to "unknown device". Tried to update the driver which is on the install but it just says "windows has already decided this device is up to date"

Tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling the drivers and HTC sync. Rebooting etc etc. Used CCleaner, nothing seems to let me select the driver for the device.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Cheers

Get a Mac.

Comment

Get a windows mobile phone

HTH
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Losing the will to live on this one.

Have HTC sync and the driver installed ok on my laptop as it is on my desktop, on the XP desktop when I connect the phone it comes up OK, when I connect to my Vista laptop it defaults to "unknown device". Tried to update the driver which is on the install but it just says "windows has already decided this device is up to date"

Tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling the drivers and HTC sync. Rebooting etc etc. Used CCleaner, nothing seems to let me select the driver for the device.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Cheers
        As you are looking for a sensible response... try a different cable / USB port. I've had this problem a few times with other devices and turned out to be the data cable. Also have a look at How to troubleshoot unknown devices that are listed in Device Manager in Windows 2000
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Assuming it's similar to my desire, which connectivity option do you choose on the phone?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Oh No!

Win2k is unsupported as of July 13th.

Doomed etc.
            A few companies still use Win2k, sadly, (un)knowing that W2k Support has ended.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Eventually got round to using a 'real' USB cable today. I was using those retractable ones you get out the pound shop that are handy for the laptop bag.

Worked first time, cheers.

Comment

Working...
              X