• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ADSL router recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    Thanks for all the posts.

I've heard good things about Draytek before but as noted they are quite expensive.

What about this one I found from D-Link: D-Link DIR-655
    Drayteks are actually quite cheep for what you are getting.

Show me another hardware VPN that supports 32 concurrent connections with a built in ADSL modem for less than 200 quid....
    Still Invoicing

Comment

You make it sound like a few quid extra - its nearly £80 more (with delivery).

I'm sure Drayteks are great but I don't need hardware VPN or 32 concurrent connections or built in modem!

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      If you're going to spend that much why not spend the extra for the Vigor ?

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=5267
      Last edited by gadgetman; 3 April 2009, 20:59.

Comment

You make it sound like a few quid extra - its nearly £80 more (with delivery).

I'm sure Drayteks are great but I don't need hardware VPN or 32 concurrent connections or built in modem!
        I think you do need that bit, that's what connects you to the internet

I am sure you don't need the 'extras' but people on here seem to think that the 2820 is nothing more than an expensive ADSL modem, but it isn't.

It's a cheap (very) hardware VPN solution that happens to have an ADSL modem built in, totally unsuited to your needs.
        Still Invoicing

Comment

Not if I've already got a modem (which I have)

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
          I think you do need that bit, that's what connects you to the internet

Comment

If all you are after is a gigabit switch, I have used 3com ones before, got an 8 port one for about 50 quid from dabs.

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...ationKey=50362

I realise it's not wireless, but i've never used one of those so can't comment
            Still Invoicing

Comment

So after all that you don't actually want an ADSL router?

I have to say although my first Netgear (11Mb) was a bit flakey, the 54G one I've had for the last few years has been flawless.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Er, yes I do.

I want something to connect to the ADSL modem and provide wireless and gigabit wired access to my connection.

I've ordered the D-Link now. It gets good reviews and has what I need.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                So after all that you don't actually want an ADSL router?

I have to say although my first Netgear (11Mb) was a bit flakey, the 54G one I've had for the last few years has been flawless.

Comment

Er, yes I do.

I want something to connect to the ADSL modem and provide wireless and gigabit wired access to my connection.
                  Traditionally, an ADSL router is a router that connects to ADSL (i.e. you plug the phone line directly into it). What you want (and what you have bought) is a regular ethernet to ethernet router, which is nothing to do with ADSL at all.

I can only assume you're locked into some dodgy deal where you have to use a supplied modem, as otherwise why would you look to have two boxes when you could buy a proper ADSL router and replace both?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                  X