• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long term cloud-based backup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term cloud-based backup

I'd always assumed I didn't need a 1:1 backup of my entire NAS or whatever since I have all the important stuff backed up, but in the interest of saving time rebuilding everything I wonder maybe I was wrong.

Some brief research shows you can get it really very cheap but it varies a lot and the complexity is in how fast you perform and, importantly, restore and then I got lost. I see some providers offer the option to ship them a disk as your initial backup and have them ship you a disk if you need to restore so only incremental changes are done over the internet, very useful.

I am struggling to find an easy way to compare services and pricing like for like, any suggestions or tips what to look for? This is primarily for long-term "hope I never need it" backups e.g. my NAS gets stolen or I get hit by a ransomware attack, and need to be able to get back up to speed. Nice if I can access online but I don't want to pay a lot more just for that. We're talking order of 1Tb I suppose.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

1TB @ 10Mb/s is about 9 days. So don't bother shipping a drive.
    To restore at 65Mb/s (FTTC) would be 1 day 10 hrs. You'd struggle to get a replacement HDD in that time anyway

What service to use depends on what the NAS will support.
    I'd look to use rsync as it is very good for doing just the file changes.

This lot will provide all that for c. $25 per month

rsync.net Enterprise Cloud Storage

Dropbox, Google, Amazon, Microsoft and even Apple will provide it for less $$$ but it depends on what the NAS will do.
    Key thing is you want something that does delta backups.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Why cloud? - a 1Tb USB drive and something like Synctoy means you take one full backup, then incremental backups when you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        1TB @ 10Mb/s is about 9 days. So don't bother shipping a drive.
        To restore at 65Mb/s (FTTC) would be 1 day 10 hrs. You'd struggle to get a replacement HDD in that time anyway

What service to use depends on what the NAS will support.
        I'd look to use rsync as it is very good for doing just the file changes.

This lot will provide all that for c. $25 per month

rsync.net Enterprise Cloud Storage

Dropbox, Google, Amazon, Microsoft and even Apple will provide it for less $$$ but it depends on what the NAS will do.
        Key thing is you want something that does delta backups.
        Not just less, about 10X less. Even Dropbox does 5TB for £20p/m IIRC.
        I don't get 65/10, though perhaps I should have stated that. Fibre v1 so 30/5 is more representative

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        Why cloud? - a 1Tb USB drive and something like Synctoy means you take one full backup, then incremental backups when you like.
        I thought it would be cheaper. At $25pm clearly not, I could buy a drive and a 1-bay NAS just for syncing for 1 year's cost give or take.
        That said the benefit of cloud is it's physically distant from any local disaster (fire, theft, lightning strike) which was my thinking. A backup drive that's on the same power supply on the same property has some risk. The cloudy backup will also be far lower risk of loss than a 1TB drive in my garage or whatever.

But if the price doesn't make sense I would go for a local option, I guess. There's always some risk it's just about trade-off.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I'd always assumed I didn't need a 1:1 backup of my entire NAS or whatever since I have all the important stuff backed up, but in the interest of saving time rebuilding everything I wonder maybe I was wrong.

Some brief research shows you can get it really very cheap but it varies a lot and the complexity is in how fast you perform and, importantly, restore and then I got lost. I see some providers offer the option to ship them a disk as your initial backup and have them ship you a disk if you need to restore so only incremental changes are done over the internet, very useful.

I am struggling to find an easy way to compare services and pricing like for like, any suggestions or tips what to look for? This is primarily for long-term "hope I never need it" backups e.g. my NAS gets stolen or I get hit by a ransomware attack, and need to be able to get back up to speed. Nice if I can access online but I don't want to pay a lot more just for that. We're talking order of 1Tb I suppose.
          Rsync really is all you need, along with a target. I voted for on premise (Suity Towers) because of bandwidth. Even with a large-ish pipe Amazon Prime could get you a new drive quicker.

So I have a Raspberry Pi, with 2 large HDDs attached. Everything backs up from the network (all RPis again) to drive 1, then drive 1 syncs again to drive 2. I even clone the SD cards once a week.

I am running a private Git, Docker Repo, 2x Kubernetes clusters, a WordPress site and also have a lot of films.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

. We're talking order of 1Tb I suppose.
            For 1 Tb only it is still feasible to use cloud @ 5mb/s upload. Pick any cloud which is supported by your NAS. Set to upload during night and forget.

I am using a dirty trick to send 1000 mb video files to flickr. Only it has 10 mb video and 990 mb encrypted data. You can have 1000 videos like this so 1 TB for free. This is my second cloud copy of course my 'better not need it'.
            I can share the script if interested, PM me.

So your data so far can be on flickr and going forward any free cloud will do with their 5-10GB options.
            Last edited by gisp; 3 August 2021, 08:21.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Rsync really is all you need, along with a target. I voted for on premise (Suity Towers) because of bandwidth. Even with a large-ish pipe Amazon Prime could get you a new drive quicker.

So I have a Raspberry Pi, with 2 large HDDs attached. Everything backs up from the network (all RPis again) to drive 1, then drive 1 syncs again to drive 2. I even clone the SD cards once a week.

I am running a private Git, Docker Repo, 2x Kubernetes clusters, a WordPress site and also have a lot of films.
              Cheers Suity. Not seen you around these parts for a while, hope you're good. I clearly need to read up on rsync, because my needs are quite modest and that might be a good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by gisp View Post

For 1 Tb only it is still feasible to use cloud @ 5mb/s upload. Pick any cloud which is supported by your NAS. Set to upload during night and forget.
                The stuff that would only be backed up in this manner would not be stuff I need every day anyway when I think about it, photos and stuff, so the "instant rebuild" probably isn't a required feature.

Comment

Cheers Suity. Not seen you around these parts for a while, hope you're good. I clearly need to read up on rsync, because my needs are quite modest and that might be a good fit.
                  Still bumping along the bottom.

Rsync is a p.o.p.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                  X