• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GIT - is it me or is it just really horrible?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GIT - is it me or is it just really horrible?

I'm not remotely new to using source control, having worked with most of the popular flavours over the years.

But I have to admit that GIT (via SourceTree) has just got me stumped.

I understand the concept of branches so no problems there, not sure if it's the SourceTree interface but I really don't have a clue with it.

Am I alone or do others have problems?
    Do what thou wilt

Just don't use GUIs, that would be my advice. git commands are much faster. Unless you don't understand how git works then well.. can't help you.

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
      Just don't use GUIs, that would be my advice. git commands are much faster. Unless you don't understand how git works then well.. can't help you.
      To add some balance to this - I couldn't disagree more. Been developing software and using some form of source control for 12 years, so not ages - but long enough to know that there's nothing wrong with an intuitive UI. It's not 'elite' to use commands if visualisations work for you personally (granted, doesn't work for everyone). I would say you need an appreciation for the git commands the likes of sourcetree is automating, but nothing wrong with sourcetree (or any other similar git client).

What, specifically, are you struggling with in GIT Dark Black ? I'll see if I can help you at all, but there are only a handful of concepts/commands you need to be familiar with.

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post

To add some balance to this - I couldn't disagree more. Been developing software and using some form of source control for 12 years, so not ages - but long enough to know that there's nothing wrong with an intuitive UI. It's not 'elite' to use commands if visualisations work for you personally (granted, doesn't work for everyone). I would say you need an appreciation for the git commands the likes of sourcetree is automating, but nothing wrong with sourcetree (or any other similar git client).

What, specifically, are you struggling with in GIT Dark Black ? I'll see if I can help you at all, but there are only a handful of concepts/commands you need to be familiar with.
        It's not about the eliteness, it's about speed. I will bash out git commands faster than you can click your GUI buttons all day long. Given that this is something you have to do day in, day out and is an integral part of your job - you are less productive than I am as a developer.

Comment

It's not about the eliteness, it's about speed. I will bash out git commands faster than you can click your GUI buttons all day long. Given that this is something you have to do day in, day out and is an integral part of your job - you are less productive than I am as a developer.
          The era of measuring lines of code as a proxy for productivity in software development died 20 odd years ago.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

The era of measuring lines of code as a proxy for productivity in software development died 20 odd years ago.
            Your comment makes 0 sense in the current context. What have git commands got to do with lines of code?

Comment

Your comment makes 0 sense in the current context. What have git commands got to do with lines of code?
              Someone needs a git revert...

Comment

It's not just you. I've never got to grip with git. It's well named.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I use SourceTree on one project. I quite like it, as it enforces a workflow. I hate Git command line though.

The thing I find hardest is understanding the history, you just see something a bit like a map of the London Underground.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post

It's specifically with my understanding of the SourceTree GUI when it comes to switching branches - I'll post tomorrow when I've got ST up on the laptop and can explain what my issues are!
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                    X