• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trigger an infra red signal via wifi, any ideas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post

Ideally, I would like to have a solution that I could control all the blinds, so say from an app open all the blinds. But the main priority is the blind for the door.
    I've got the perfect solution then it's....

I refuse to use a robot finger to achieve this task, you sound like the type of person that would cut a hole in his ceiling to allow him to play golf
    Click image for larger version  Name:	giphy.gif Views:	0 Size:	3.27 MB ID:	4153981

Erm.. well non of your ***** business it seems

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Something like this may be the ticket

IRKit - Open Source WiFi Connected Infrared Remote Controller (getirkit.com)

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Even better. Get the spare remote and attach it to a smart button presser. Control the infra red phob from your phone. Can hide it in a draw somewhere so it's out of site.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchBot-S...dp/B07B4D9KVX/
    I refuse to use a robot finger to achieve this task, you sound like the type of person that would cut a hole in his ceiling to allow him to play golf

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied

You said you only needed one for the door? Open up the blind and attach the wires to the motor so it's in parallel with the infra red system. Either can send power to the motor then.
    Ideally, I would like to have a solution that I could control all the blinds, so say from an app open all the blinds. But the main priority is the blind for the door.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Even better. Get the spare remote and attach it to a smart button presser. Control the infra red phob from your phone. Can hide it in a draw somewhere so it's out of site.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchBot-S...dp/B07B4D9KVX/

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

This, this just could be the ticket. It can control multiple devices, I'm guessing i would just need the wavelength / signal that is sent for each blind.

Edit. Reading further it may not meet my needs but it's the type of thing, will search for something more configurable on these lines.
    You said you only needed one for the door? Open up the blind and attach the wires to the motor so it's in parallel with the infra red system. Either can send power to the motor then.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
    I used to use something similar when I had a Sky box inside a cupboard.

TNP IR Infrared Remote Control Extender Repeater Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    I'm afraid an extender probably isnt the way to go, it's an external stone building.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    you can get an IR transmitter for Raspberry PI.
    I looked at this and was my initial approach but I think it would become a heck of a project in the end. Might be my last approach if I couldnt find a more rounded product.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Oh.. just remembered. I installed an electric awning last week and put a unit in to allow it to be operated by a phob but they did offer a wifi/phone solution. It was a tad expensive compared to the garage ones on amazon but is well documented. Has an up and down output and things like that. It's here and there is a data sheet available.
    As I say very expensive for what it is compared to the amazon cheapness but it's fully documented etc.

https://www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/s...wn_control_tbl

https://www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/P...trol_kit_2.pdf
    This, this just could be the ticket. It can control multiple devices, I'm guessing i would just need the wavelength / signal that is sent for each blind.

Edit. Reading further it may not meet my needs but it's the type of thing, will search for something more configurable on these lines.
    Last edited by woohoo; 25 March 2021, 15:59.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    The infra-red receiver is inside the building? You can't put one outside and trigger it using the remote from the back door?
    Each blind has its own receiver and needs direct line of site. So its fine when im inside the room. That's why i thought something I could trigger via wifi inside the room would be good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X