• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mac mini 2012: Replace OS with esxi or windows 10?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance
    replied
    you can use Bootcamp for Windows install on the Mac.
    Can you do ESX installs though? I've never tried.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    started a topic Mac mini 2012: Replace OS with esxi or windows 10?

Mac mini 2012: Replace OS with esxi or windows 10?

I have a 2012 Mac Mac mini. specs are i7 Quad core 2.0Ghz, 16GB ram 2X 2TB SSD. Currently running High Sierra Mac OS.

Stored away and used as a Plex server. It also hosts a couple of windows VMware vm's that I spin up when required.

It's have been an excellent kit but due to lack of new OS support its becoming very annoying of late despite a fresh install. Remote login to the Mac is not as fast as it used to be. Sometimes when the vm's choke up the Mac also freezes which is surprising for a vm to affect the host pc. However the Plex server runs perfectly without transcoding issues.

The newer Mac mini is not an option, not enough space for too much money and I could do with going down the windows route anyway. Before ditching the Mac mini for a NUC pc or similar form factor, I thought It might be a good idea to try either of these 2 options:-

1) Native install of Windows 10 on the Mac mini so I can run my Plex server and also install VMware workstation for my VMs
    2) Install Vmware ESXi and run Plex in a windows 10 vm. Also hopping my existing vm's can also run under ESXi.

Which of these 2 options will give the best performance?

Thanks

Working...
X