• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you get smart-plugs that don't need an app?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I might not love everything going to Amazon but at least I know it is. But the random Shenzen company selling the smart-plug...

Came across this: Apple, Google, and Amazon are teaming up to develop an open-source smart home standard - The Verge
    That feels worse!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    USB is a standard but not one that has stayed static except in name, and Apple have still done their own thing with lightning etc.

VHS, DVD - there was a battle before these finally "won" (Betamax) and there was a period of overlap where many co-existed and people were left with defunct technology. There was also HD-DVD v BlueRay. Calendar formats? Er, UK v US? Browsers - still very fragmented.

Regarding who knows what your doing with you smart devices, you need to research what you want and what information you are willing to share. Every time you ask Alexa something, it goes to Amazon servers, even if it ends up back controlling (for example) a Z-Wave plug in your house that is otherwise controlled locally. As to firewall ports - its all largely over standard TCP/UDP ports - the ones you agree to when you add the device to your network. The same for Google Home or any other smart home device you choose to install.
    I might not love everything going to Amazon but at least I know it is. But the random Shenzen company selling the smart-plug...

Came across this: Apple, Google, and Amazon are teaming up to develop an open-source smart home standard - The Verge

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Remote Control Plug Socket 30M Range UK Mains Wireless Switch Energy Save Socket | eBay

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    True, but we do end up with things standardising... USB, VHS, DVD, calendar formats. Lots of things in the browser world were created by MS/Google and taken on by others.

I'm still unclear to what extent every smart-plug one buys, means another random server dependency? All these things come from China so does that mean every time I say "Alexa turn on the electric blanket" she sends a request to Amazon.com, which in turn sends a request to ChinaServer289983uhgh, which then sends a request to my plug? How are are my home firewall ports all open to those servers anyway?!
    USB is a standard but not one that has stayed static except in name, and Apple have still done their own thing with lightning etc.

VHS, DVD - there was a battle before these finally "won" (Betamax) and there was a period of overlap where many co-existed and people were left with defunct technology. There was also HD-DVD v BlueRay. Calendar formats? Er, UK v US? Browsers - still very fragmented.

Regarding who knows what your doing with you smart devices, you need to research what you want and what information you are willing to share. Every time you ask Alexa something, it goes to Amazon servers, even if it ends up back controlling (for example) a Z-Wave plug in your house that is otherwise controlled locally. As to firewall ports - its all largely over standard TCP/UDP ports - the ones you agree to when you add the device to your network. The same for Google Home or any other smart home device you choose to install.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 27 October 2020, 17:54.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I refuse to have any of that crud in my place. I find it all way too creepy and don't think the convenience is a good enough sell
    Good. Would play havoc with my WiFi camera signals.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    There are already some wireless IoT standards that don't require internet. Z-Wave, Zigbee and others - these have been around for years. These typically do require a local Hub, however, though Z-Wave also accomodates device-to-device communication (eg, switch to bulb).

Will there ever be one standard? I don't believe so, because of individuals companies self-interest and...

True, but we do end up with things standardising... USB, VHS, DVD, calendar formats. Lots of things in the browser world were created by MS/Google and taken on by others.

I'm still unclear to what extent every smart-plug one buys, means another random server dependency? All these things come from China so does that mean every time I say "Alexa turn on the electric blanket" she sends a request to Amazon.com, which in turn sends a request to ChinaServer289983uhgh, which then sends a request to my plug? How are are my home firewall ports all open to those servers anyway?!

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Do others agree this whole IoT will end up standardising so you can just plug something in,
    There are already some wireless IoT standards that don't require internet. Z-Wave, Zigbee and others - these have been around for years. These typically do require a local Hub, however, though Z-Wave also accomodates device-to-device communication (eg, switch to bulb).

Will there ever be one standard? I don't believe so, because of individuals companies self-interest and...

I've automated large parts of my house using both Z-Wave and Zigbee devices and am currently using the SmartThings hub (Samsung). Only a subset of SmartThings operations run locally (many do use the SmartThings cloud) but I could switch to another hub and keep the same devices if I wanted to.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 27 October 2020, 15:55.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    You mean it's not?
    Oi! Edit your own posts!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Would Open Hab work for you?
    Inneresting. I wonder if it'd run on a NAS?

Do others agree this whole IoT will end up standardising so you can just plug something in, and Google/Amazon/Apple does the rest? Of course some don't like being reliant on those guys either but better than nothing IMO.
    Much prefer setup where you no on your network and it provides a little web-page (like your router does) than having 20 different crApps.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I am a big IoT fan and have umpteen devices in the house.

I use a Smart Plug to control a (standard) reading lamp in the living room and it works with any Amazone Echo device (it doesn't require a smart hub).

TP-Link Tapo Smart Plug Wi-Fi Outlet, Works with Amazon Alexa (Echo and Echo Dot), Google Home, Wireless Smart Socket, Remote Control Timer Switch, Device Sharing, No Hub Required (Tapo P100): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

One of these will do the job.
    You still have to install the TP Tapo app though (at least to setup). Granted I'd trust TP-Link a lot more than "Best Smort plug 3334" but still, aren't you reliant on TP's server? i.e. does a command go phone->google->TP->plug or does this one talk directly to Google?

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Options:
    1. Get up off the sofa and switch it on manually. No App required.
    2. Not a remote control power switch
    Shouldn't have to remind a moderator not to muck around in the tech forum

Leave a comment:

Working...
X