• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need a new WFH office chair

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new WFH office chair

Current chair has finally given up after about 15 years and an extra 3 stone.

So, would like a chair NOT MADE IN CHINA, which is comfortable (easily take 12 hour stints), stylish and will last at least 15 to 20 years to see me out.

So, do I go straight to Herman Miller Aero or is there something better out there?

Straight to

Herman Miller Aeron - every time

Do not pass go do not collect £200

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Current chair has finally given up after about 15 years and an extra 3 stone.
      You have my sympathies.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Straight to

Herman Miller Aeron - every time

Do not pass go do not collect £200

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        They last so long you don't even need to buy new. Mine is now 15 years old and I bought it second hand on ebay to begin with.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I recently purchased a Tiverton T551ADJ with adjustable Seat and Arms.

£170+VAT

My wife has had one for over 10 years and I have borrowed it over time, and decided to buy my own one.

Miller Aeron is brilliant but over priced imnsho.
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Better than an aeron... Mwahahahahahahhaha..

Nice one. I enjoyed that.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Herman Miller or Humanscale. Equally good, similar price. I prefer the aesthetics of the Humanscale Freedom task chair (alu frame) to the Aeron, which looks a bit pants, imho. Both excellent though.

Comment

Oh, and for 1-1.5k you should try them yourself.

Comment

Herman Miller Aeron - the "BIFL" office chair / the last office chair you'll ever need.

Buy it used on ebay / Gum tree. Pay £250-£50 for a fully loaded* one in good or refub condition. (I've bought 3 in the last 6 months as the extended household has tried and loved my initial purchase)

*Fully loaded:

Adjustable arms (height and angle)
                  Tilt - Rearward AND Forward
                  Height
                  Lumbar - there are two types: the "sausage" and the "Y". the "Y" is a bit more rare.

They come in 3 sizes, A, B, C Most on the market are "B"s. (A = small, C = large)

Mesh should be fully intact for the above prices, bases might show scuffs, can be refurbed at home with a rattle can spray.

All functions should work fully.

There is a foam pad on the front of the seat base - they get squashed and can be easily replaced. Sellers may or may not be aware and the seat works even when squashed.

Parts are readily available, lumbar can be retrofitted (sausage is easy, "Y" is harder, but DIY-able)

M

Comment

I looked long and hard at the Aeron a few years back but in the end I was quite impressed trying this out and bought one.

MARKUS Vissle dark grey, Office chair - IKEA

I got the subtle orange one and TBH I've been very happy with it.

The Aeron is undoubtably an amazingly good chair but to me comes across like getting yourself a 40" iMac when all you do is email and project planning, you're paying a premium for the quality but you're also paying a premium for flash looks and the ability to show off to co-workers.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X