• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VDSL bonding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance
    replied
    as eek says. You need both ends. ISPs used to offer muli-link PPP (MLPPP) for a premium price. Not seen it for years though as they'd trather sell you a 100Mb/s fixed circuit for a few £k per month.

What you can do is use some static routing to use a diffeernt DSL router for different endpoints.

EG. AWS server 100.100.100.1 is routed via 192.168.0.1, adn AWS server 100.100.100.2 is routed via 192.168.0.2
    This can be achieved with a router in front of 2 broadband routers. Or even static routes on Windows using 'route add'.

If you want to increase the bandwidth to the same endpoint (IP address and port) then you're stuffed.

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    Another option, if I need to work with large files (and don't need them.to be physically local to me) I'd just spin up a VM in whatever cloud solution I'm using and use that.

So if I (for example) need to pull down a few gb of files, change some bits and shove them back up... There's no reason for that to come all the way down to my machine.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Anyone doing this?

I could do with a bit more speed as I'm almost 100% remote and doing a lot of stuff with AWS. Pulling and pushing large java dump files is getting a bit tedious. Lots of places will sell me a 2nd VDSL line, but then I'm apparently on my own, and I'm yet to find a router that supports it (as opposed to just failover/load balancing).
    You won't find one by itself as I believe it needs to be bond at both your end (data is split / combined) and at the other end of the line (combined / split) before you can successfully use it.

Bonded DSL: Three and Four ADSL Lines | Increase Broadband Speed has an overview of one providers solution

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    started a topic VDSL bonding

VDSL bonding

Anyone doing this?

I could do with a bit more speed as I'm almost 100% remote and doing a lot of stuff with AWS. Pulling and pushing large java dump files is getting a bit tedious. Lots of places will sell me a 2nd VDSL line, but then I'm apparently on my own, and I'm yet to find a router that supports it (as opposed to just failover/load balancing).

Working...
X