• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New monitors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    I'm curious: how close to this monitor do you sit?
    Close enough to leave a nose-shaped mark at the end of the day.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Last year I changed from a monitor to a 40" 4K telly. Lots of "real estate" and it's really working well for me (mostly dev work these days).
    I'm curious: how close to this monitor do you sit?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Last year I changed from a monitor to a 40" 4K telly. Lots of "real estate" and it's really working well for me (mostly dev work these days).
    Now 4k is so cheap I wonder this too. A low-end 4k TV might be terrible for watching Planet Earth II but for dev work surely it's the pixels that matter... 1080p for a monitor is not very useful but 4k definitely is.

I just bought a 43" 4k TV for £199. Not because I wanted a 4K TV, but because it was actually on sale at the same price as a 1080p 32" one.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    *outputs, Shirley?
    Yeah, them things. Holes.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I was tempted by the 49” UltraSharp, but went with three 24” UltraSharps. The bezel is negligible nowadays and you don’t then need to faff with zoning, it just “works”. Massive amount of real estate and not absurdly expensive, providing you have a graphics card that supports three inputs.
    *outputs, Shirley?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I was tempted by the 49” UltraSharp, but went with three 24” UltraSharps. The bezel is negligible nowadays and you don’t then need to faff with zoning, it just “works”. Massive amount of real estate and not absurdly expensive, providing you have a graphics card that supports three inputs.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    If you still need more screen real estate, or split work and other stuff, there's free virtual desktop software.

Currently using Dexpot with Windows 10 on my 40" 4k monitor, mainly so I can have one desktop with all my work stuff and others with shortcuts to non-work stuff.

Got the background colours set to differentiate so easy to see which virtual desktop I'm on before wondering where the shortcuts have gone, and set it to use keyboard shortcuts (Alt+1, Alt+2 etc) to switch between them so no visible clue to my hidden desktops if I've got anything sensitive on there.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    My desk isn't Brobdingnagian. Still... tempting.
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    The monitor or the cheeky buying method, or both?
    Just the monitor. In common with many suppliers in Switzerland, my supplier doesn't take Amex. I just paid in advance yesterday, so the payment was through this morning and the monitor will arrive tomorrow. Still, £640 excl. VAT, rather than the UK price of £714 excl. VAT. (Electronics are about the only thing cheaper in CH than in the UK).

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I've gone for Ladymuck's suggestion. Financial director approved.
    The monitor or the cheeky buying method, or both?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I've gone for Ladymuck's suggestion. Financial director approved.
    Nice bit of kit, take it you got two of them? ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X