• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New monitors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Task management - desktop 1 is for work, desktop 2 contains email allowing them to be hidden while you concentrate on what you need to do today.
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If i'm doing video editing, the video is open on one screen, the editing software on another. When developing, I have the editor on one, and whatever reference I might be using on the other. This gets more critical is my eyes get older...
    I get both of those use cases but you don't need multiple desktops to achieve it, that's where I'm struggling

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    If i'm doing video editing, the video is open on one screen, the editing software on another. When developing, I have the editor on one, and whatever reference I might be using on the other. This gets more critical is my eyes get older...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I'm a simple person...how does having multiple desktops give you more screen real estate? If you're effectively switching between windows, that doesn't give you more space to work with.
    Task management - desktop 1 is for work, desktop 2 contains email allowing them to be hidden while you concentrate on what you need to do today.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I'm a simple person...how does having multiple desktops give you more screen real estate? If you're effectively switching between windows, that doesn't give you more space to work with.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I was sure Windows had finally added multiple desktops? Maybe only on servers? I know it's a feature on MacOS though I've never learned how it works. One desktop is confusing enough
    It does: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...tiple-desktops

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    If you still need more screen real estate, or split work and other stuff, there's free virtual desktop software.

Currently using Dexpot with Windows 10 on my 40" 4k monitor, mainly so I can have one desktop with all my work stuff and others with shortcuts to non-work stuff.

Got the background colours set to differentiate so easy to see which virtual desktop I'm on before wondering where the shortcuts have gone, and set it to use keyboard shortcuts (Alt+1, Alt+2 etc) to switch between them so no visible clue to my hidden desktops if I've got anything sensitive on there.

I was sure Windows had finally added multiple desktops? Maybe only on servers? I know it's a feature on MacOS though I've never learned how it works. One desktop is confusing enough

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It's arrived. Jolly nice it is too. I need another one.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Worked with a guy that was the same but he was nearly blind (honestly).
    Same. Still funny though.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    You may scoff, but I have worked with a chap who had to do just that... much fun was to be had watching him try to find the pointer whilst also moving the mouse.
    Worked with a guy that was the same but he was nearly blind (honestly).

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Close enough to leave a nose-shaped mark at the end of the day.
    You may scoff, but I have worked with a chap who had to do just that... much fun was to be had watching him try to find the pointer whilst also moving the mouse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X