• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New computer - Mac or PC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I do wonder if this kind of advice is a bit outdated now, no offence
    None taken! I'm glad to hear that Windows is finally usable

Comment

If you’ve already got a monitor you like get an Intel NUC to the spec you want. Easy.

Comment

Originally posted by BackupBoy View Post
        If you’ve already got a monitor you like get an Intel NUC to the spec you want. Easy.
        They are pretty sweet...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BackupBoy View Post
          When I was looking at them, they seemed quite pricey, only slightly cheaper than comparable Laptop. Unless you are on a tight budget it didn't make sense to me to lose the versatility and portability of the laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            When I was looking at them, they seemed quite pricey, only slightly cheaper than comparable Laptop. Unless you are on a tight budget it didn't make sense to me to lose the versatility and portability of the laptop.
            You're paying a premium for the cute packaging I suppose. I don't know how comparable the specs are - you might see both are i7 but wouldn't the laptop be some special low-power i7 not quite as powerful? Or is that out of date?

You do make a good point about getting a laptop "for free". Even if you never use it as one it's quite a compact 'box' especially if you can configure it to run without having to open the lid.

Comment

Intel NUCs use U series Core CPUs which is the same that goes in Laptops, where U stands for Ultra low voltage. So no real difference in performance.

There might be other mini PC platforms out there that use desktop grade CPUs, but I hardly doubt they can fit the PSU and cooling required in a NUC form factor.

There is still plenty of applications for NUCs like home-brew firewalls and media centres, or anything that require more physical ports. But for a general desktop replacement I would always pick a Laptop even if there is small premium to pay for the portability.

Comment

Personally I go for something like this. Peanuts for real IT contractors.

ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo UX581GV-H2001T Laptop with ScreenPad Plus, Intel Core i9, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 1TB SSD, 15.6” OLED 4K Touchscreen, Celestial Blue at John Lewis & Partners

Comment

I think if I wanted to spend silly money, I'd be tempted by one of the MS Surface laptops. Earlier iterations we're a way ahead of the competition I think, is that no longer the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    None taken! I'm glad to hear that Windows is finally usable
                    For the past 10 years.

My daughter got herself a surface pro for her college works. Seems to be very good.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      I think if I wanted to spend silly money, I'd be tempted by one of the MS Surface laptops. Earlier iterations we're a way ahead of the competition I think, is that no longer the case?

Be careful with surface 2 have had issues with cpu throttling especially when the weather is warm.

Comment

Working...
                      X