• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monitor problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xoggoth
    replied
    Ta both. No, I did mean I swapped the outputs. Left working prob. just coincidence. I do find if I leave on at mains overnight there is no problem. Turning on about 10 mins before using didn't work tho.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    So the left monitor works fine but the right doesn't?

Swap over inputs from the graphics card(s) - you've already swapped the cables but I didn't see you mention that you've tried output A into monitor B and vice versa.

If the left monitor still works after that swap about then the fault may be with the monitor rather than the PC hardware/cables.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Daftest thing is that it's usually the monitor on the left that works regardless of which lead is plugged in. Weird.
    Failing PSU or graphics card? If monitors power up but no output on screen (light on but nobody home) then maybe there is insufficient power on cold start up, and rebooting or leaving power on keeps enough juice in the circuits to avoid the problem.

Can't you just leave on at mains until get opportunity to try a different PSU or graphics card? They should be drawing virtually no power when turned off but powered on at mains anyway.

The left monitor may be working better if it has 'wake up' circuits for video received that require slightly less power than the right monitor.
    Last edited by Hobosapien; 22 July 2019, 08:23.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I've had a few issues with monitors. I would have suggested changing leads, if you have any adaptors try and get a decent lead that fits both ports without the adaptor. I've just sorted an issue with flickering by removing the adaptor.

I've had other issues with multiple monitors, onto MS support and in the end had to reinstall windows 10 from scratch. Some nonsense about driver corruption etc. Anyway, seems to have helped.

Is your graphic card definitely able to support both monitors running at your required resolution?
    Cheers Woohoo. Not using any adapters. Yeh, had no problem with same monitors until a few months ago. Wonder if Intel driver could be problem, notice it was updated in March which could have been when problems started. Tried rollback but says no previous version available.

Not sure it's related to Windows, I don't get usual boot text showing when the monitor doesn't work.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 21 July 2019, 16:56.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Had minor problem on PC for a few months where only second monitor showed on first startup and I had to restart. Now it's a major hassle, often get neither showing and have to restart several times. Problem only happens on 1st use after switching off at mains, if I leave power on and just turn off PC, it's ok.

Tried all the obvious stuff and suggestions on line, changing leads, using different monitors, pressing Win-P, checking got latest driver version, disabling/enabling, uninstalling reinstalling etc. No solutions. Any ideas, needs new graphics card maybe? Ta.

PS One lead is vga and one dvi. Daftest thing is that it's usually the monitor on the left that works regardless of which lead is plugged in. Weird.
    I've had a few issues with monitors. I would have suggested changing leads, if you have any adaptors try and get a decent lead that fits both ports without the adaptor. I've just sorted an issue with flickering by removing the adaptor.

I've had other issues with multiple monitors, onto MS support and in the end had to reinstall windows 10 from scratch. Some nonsense about driver corruption etc. Anyway, seems to have helped.

Is your graphic card definitely able to support both monitors running at your required resolution?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    started a topic Monitor problems

Monitor problems

Had minor problem on PC for a few months where only second monitor showed on first startup and I had to restart. Now it's a major hassle, often get neither showing and have to restart several times. Problem only happens on 1st use after switching off at mains, if I leave power on and just turn off PC, it's ok.

Tried all the obvious stuff and suggestions on line, changing leads, using different monitors, pressing Win-P, checking got latest driver version, disabling/enabling, uninstalling reinstalling etc. No solutions. Any ideas, needs new graphics card maybe? Ta.

PS One lead is vga and one dvi. Daftest thing is that it's usually the monitor on the left that works regardless of which lead is plugged in. Weird.

Working...
X