• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New laptop, joy of installing software.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New laptop, joy of installing software.

I bought a new laptop, surface book 2.

Just building it now...there has to be a better way of getting all the software onto it. Perhaps a program that looks at existing laptop or pc and picks out all the software and gives you a choice of what to install with updates etc.

And why don't microsoft ship it with the latest patches. 3 hours installing updates.
    Last edited by woohoo; 28 July 2018, 08:22.

heard good things about this

https://ninite.com/
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Well thank you for that. It’s defo a start.

Comment

laplink pc mover. I used it when I got my latest laptop.

Worked nicely for most software - except MS Office.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          laplink pc mover. I used it when I got my latest laptop.

Worked nicely for most software - except MS Office.
          Laplink that’s a name I’ve not heard for a while. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Laplink that’s a name I’ve not heard for a while. Thanks.
            Wasn't "Ghost" useful for that kind of thing?

Seriously though...

Have you not thought of loading your old laptop disk into a VM and running that on your new laptop until you decide which software you really need?
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Seriously though...

Have you not thought of loading your old laptop disk into a VM and running that on your new laptop until you decide which software you really need?
              I’ve kept the old laptop as a backup and still use it for taking notes with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Chocolatey is good, too.

That said, I always see it as an opportunity to start fresh anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  I bought a new laptop, surface book 2.

Just building it now...there has to be a better way of getting all the software onto it. Perhaps a program that looks at existing laptop or pc and picks out all the software and gives you a choice of what to install with updates etc.

And why don't microsoft ship it with the latest patches. 3 hours installing updates.
                  You'll be wanting to craft a simple Chocolately script for your applications etc.

For windows updates/configuration etc., you should look at BoxStarter (which also uses Chocolately under the hood).

Set these things up and you'll never have to suffer the boredom of re-installing/configuring a Windows box again. Literally, install chocolately on a new box (can be done via a simple URL) then launch your script, go grab a coffee and come back when it's all done!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Seriously though...

I've gone down that road, using several VMs to isolate groups of software so if I want to move from PC to laptop and vice versa when WFH or working away for a few months I just copy the VM across. Works well as long as no direct access or fancy drivers are required. Got VMs for iTunes, dev tools, sandbox browsing , and a few others.

As the once great Hunter often said, "works for me"
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X