• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FPGA for the hobbyist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FPGA for the hobbyist

As a Software "professional" and a hardware "enthusiast" I thought I'd try and bridge the two by looking into FPGA development.

In the past FPGA development boards and Software tools have been expensive to say the least.

However, recently a gentleman by the name of Luke Valenty has been working on a development board to bring FPGA development to the masses.

If you're interested then I recommend you look at his website while you'll find information on his hardware developments, software tools and plenty of information to get you started.
    Last edited by Zigenare; 11 July 2018, 08:38.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Gosh.

Hardware design for people who can't solder.

It may catch on.

The fpga/eepld board I worked on for Philips cost £600 for the bare board and £1500 when it was populated.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      Gosh.

Hardware design for people who can't solder.

It may catch on.

The fpga/eepld board I worked on for Philips cost £600 for the bare board and £1500 when it was populated.
      How much was the software to do anything effective with the board?
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

What do you plan on doing with your hobby, any great ideas I can steal?

It all looks cool but I don't really know what I would want to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          How much was the software to do anything effective with the board?
          No idea, but it was probably expensive.

The development group seemed to have deep pockets.

I have no idea whether or not anything productive came of it since I got very bored & buggered off as soon as possible (i.e. at the end of the 13th week).

Just remembered that they were getting into C for hardware rather than VHDL & all that.

All stuff of which I know nothing, being from Barcelona, like.

It's quite funny to think of that rather large site which used to produce all sorts of tech being reduced to housing much smaller companies selling carpets.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.91...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 July 2018, 07:48.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            No idea, but it was probably expensive.

The development group seemed to have deep pockets.

I have no idea whether or not anything productive came of it since I got very bored & buggered off as soon as possible (i.e. at the end of the 13th week).

Just remembered that they were getting into C for hardware rather than VHDL & all that.

All stuff of which I know nothing, being from Barcelona, like.

It's quite funny to think of that rather large site which used to produce all sorts of tech being reduced to housing much smaller companies selling carpets.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.91...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
            That's my official exposure to FPGA's too.

@woohoo - softcore processors are an interest. Also when its big brother the "ex" is produced I'm going to put the Spectrum ULA on it - just for tulips 'n giggles!

Might see if I can get some SDR stuff running too.

Comment

Just a quick update. My TinyFPGA BX has arrived. Installed the tools, created a little verilog "program" and uploaded it - it works.

In the process of looking at putting a RISC V softcore processor and supporting hardware together.

Comment

Working...
              X