• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wordpress on Azure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wordpress on Azure

I'm creating a test word press site on Azure using a copy of wordpress code and database from a client.

So far, I've created a fresh wordpress site using in-app database in Azure. I've created the database ok using client script and I've pointed the fresh wp install at this database.

So that works ok, I can login using the clients credentials but obviously, the plugins don't work and the clients content are not there.

I have a copy of their code, can I just ftp certain folders up and overwrite the contents of the azure wp site or is this just going to break everything?

I understand that there are backup / restore plugins but I don't really want to touch the clients live website at the moment.

Any help would be nice but I start diving in copying stuff around.

You should be able to install plugins via the admin on a clean WP install, assuming they're available from the usual sources. Otherwise, using FTP or similar to stick them in the wp-content/plugins directory should do it.

If you configure your FTP client to merge rather than overwrite remote folders (I think this is probably the default; it is for my FTP client, Transmit) then you shouldn't break anything else, at least in theory.

If you're thinking of trying to merge folders like wp-include, you'll need to make sure you're on exactly the same WP version on each side. But you shouldn't really have to do that.

Relevant WP docs (which are generally very good, BTW): https://codex.wordpress.org/Managing...alling_Plugins

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      If you're thinking of trying to merge folders like wp-include, you'll need to make sure you're on exactly the same WP version on each side. But you shouldn't really have to do that.

Relevant WP docs (which are generally very good, BTW): https://codex.wordpress.org/Managing...alling_Plugins
      Thanks for replying. I went with copying up wp-content and after reading up on WP I decided to leave the wp-admin and wp-include alone. This seemed to do the trick and I could activate the plugins and they kept the relevant settings from the live system in there.

Comment

Working...
      X