• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slow broadband for shared house - other options?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow broadband for shared house - other options?

So this is for a shared house of 5 or 6 people.

Only option is broadband with speeds measured today of 10mbps UP and 1mbps DOWN. Frankly appalling.

No options in the area for fibre or cable.

4G coverage on phones is very good around there.

Is there any other way of getting high speed internet at a reasonable monthly cost?

Mobile broadband PAYG, shared via MiFi wireless hub to see if it fits your needs. Can then look at longer term contracts for cheaper deals if sharers willing to pay fair share of costs once you know the usage requirements.

Other solutions such as satellite for downstream still require telephone for upstream and won't be anywhere near as cheap as mobile broadband anyway.

Areas with crappy traditional broadband via BT lines tend to pool together and sort out their own supply to spread the cost. Only heard of villages and other small communities doing it though as most larger areas tend to get BT to upgrade their exchanges eventually as the contention requires greater resource.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Get 2 lines and "bundle" them with a dual WAN router, 20Mpbs is still tulip for 5-6 people but there is only so much you can do, if they are not happy with it they can use their own mobile BB or move.

I don't think that MiFi etc. is feasible for shared house as all of the offers have download cap and you won't have control over the tenants habits. If you go down that route Three is probably the best option as they exclude Netflix and some other steaming services from the cap.

Comment

Relish

https://www1.relish.net

Might not be in your area however. Last I checked it was only round Central London. Not sure if they have expanded since then.

Comment

I’ve got 4GEE proper router and aerial on wall outside, 200gb a mo for 60 quid. Use for work VPN as only go in office one day a week. Getting 30/30 mbs consistently.

Comment

Working...
          X