• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smart TV or ChromeCast?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart TV or ChromeCast?

I want to get a fairly budget-y TV for my office (maybe another for the gym). 24-32" - ideally 28" though this is less common. I think I want to require full HD just for more future flexibility - it's fine for live TV which is the main use-case (news & sport while at work) but full HD means I can use it as a monitor if needed.

You pay a premium for Smart TVs and I'm not sure I would want it, but again it's handy to have the option. If the difference in price between equivalent HD / Smart HD TVs is about the same as the cost of a ChromeCast, what would your preference be?

My concern over Smart TVs is the OS is unknown, app updates may not happen, etc - whereas CC has Google backing. I already have both ChromeCast and Fire Stick in my house so could go either way... I find the Amazon interface annoying and it costs a tenner more, but it has a dedicated remote rather than having to dick about tossing things at the screen.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Non smart TV and Firestick, TV companies software is tulip. You can alway upgrade the firestick or Chormecast without paying and arm and a leg.

Comment

Apple TV, I’ve a Smart tv, with an Amazon Fire HD too, Apple TV blows the socks off both, fluid menus, fast interface, no lag, Fire HD is sluggish, Smart tv even worse...

Comment

Dumb TV + Smart thingie of your choosing beats any "Smart"TV. The only "Smart" TVs worth considering are the ones running AndroidTV for OS, like some Sony models. All of the TV brand OSes are pigtulip and kill updates for older models after 1-2 years.

Personally I prefer Fire stick over chrome cast, because of the dedicated remote and actually having an OS, where to use Chromecast you need one more device to juggle with in order to play something.

If you are in the Apple ecosystem, Apple TV wins hands down for main TV, but probably too pricey for secondary screens like in your case.

If you are Apple averse, but want something full featured, take a look at NVIDA Shield, it runs Android TV and has better HW than Apple TV at the same price point.

Comment

Could consider an android os smart TV? Unlikely to be a budget option though.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Could consider an android os smart TV? Unlikely to be a budget option though.
            I did actually see one though it was either top-end of the price range I looked at, or 720p. I don't know much about Android SmartTVs, how/why are they better? I know you can also get Android dongle-things like CC/Fire but again I hadn't really considered them.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              Dumb TV + Smart thingie of your choosing beats any "Smart"TV. The only "Smart" TVs worth considering are the ones running AndroidTV for OS, like some Sony models. All of the TV brand OSes are pigtulip and kill updates for older models after 1-2 years.
              I was chuffed to get our main TV replaced with a Lg 4K smart one, that we finally didn't need to use the PS3 for Netflix... it runs WebOS3 and while the interface is actually very nice (Fire is so ugly) there's seemingly a bug with Netflix+surround sound+WebOS where it flicks out every now and then. I was thinking my new surround system was faulty and wondering how to prove it when I found others complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I did actually see one though it was either top-end of the price range I looked at, or 720p. I don't know much about Android SmartTVs, how/why are they better? I know you can also get Android dongle-things like CC/Fire but again I hadn't really considered them.
                Because as a side effect of the fragmented Android HW market Apps tend to be backward compatible for several generation of the OS and are usually designed to work OK on under-powered HW, like the one found in most cheap set-top-boxes. Amazon fire stick/TV are essentially running Android.

Also you are more or less guaranteed to have an app available for the service you want to use, unlike the TV OSes where developers sometimes cba supporting the app for long even if they decide to make one in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  Because as a side effect of the fragmented Android HW market Apps tend to be backward compatible for several generation of the OS and are usually designed to work OK on under-powered HW, like the one found in most cheap set-top-boxes. Amazon fire stick/TV are essentially running Android.

Also you are more or less guaranteed to have an app available for the service you want to use, unlike the TV OSes where developers sometimes cba supporting the app for long even if they decide to make one in the first place.
                  Couldn't have put it better. Mrs Bloggs bought a Samsung 4k smart TV. I wanted her to buy a Sony android TV. For the reasons above. But I now have a Chromecast plugged into it so we are both content.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

get yourself a smart tv with wifi enabled + usb transmitter/receiver + kodi showbox etc

Comment

Working...
                    X