• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thoughts on GDPR for a contractor who doesn't handle any personal data?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dw28 View Post
    So long as any hypothetical future action is something I would simply be required to respond to in good time, that would be entirely managable. All data that could possibly be requested would be easy to identify in that one account.
    I'll keep reading up on it all, but at least it doesn't sound like I'm in imminent danger of being fined.

Thanks again!
    the reality of fines.....
    here are some quotes from the head of the ICO. Elizabeth Denham. Bear in mind these are the people who would issue a fine.

“The GDPR is a work in progress for us as I am sure it is for many of you - but we’re making sure we respond to what we hear you need.”

“The misinformation about massive fines being an ICO default under the GDPR prompted the first in my series of myth-busting blogs last summer. I hope by now you know that enforcement is a last resort. I have no intention of changing the ICO’s proportionate and pragmatic approach after 25th of May. Hefty fines will be reserved for those organisations that persistently, deliberately or negligently flout the law. Those organisations that self-report, engage with us to resolve issues and can demonstrate effective accountability arrangements can expect this to be a factor when we consider any regulatory action.”

“And when we do need to apply a sanction, fines will not always be the most appropriate or effective choice. Compulsory data protection audits, warnings, reprimands, and enforcement notices are all important enforcement tools. The ICO can even stop an organisation processing data. None of these will require an organisation to write a cheque to the Treasury, but they will have a significant impact on their reputation and, ultimately, their bottom line.”

“Because I’ve always preferred the carrot to the stick. I don’t want to punish organisations for breaching the law. I want to help stop that happening in the first place.”

“As you know, I believe the public should be and is at the heart of everything we do. Today we’re officially launching our public information campaign “Your Data Matters”.“

“So here we are, days away from the first day of a new era for data protection. Does it feel like there’s a light at the end of the tunnel? it’s important that we all understand there is no deadline. 25 May is not the end. It is the beginning. This is a long haul journey. But it’s not a holiday. There’s a lot of work to be done along the way.”

“It’s your job to make sure you keep your foot on the gas. Your preparations, your work – your important work – must continue beyond the 25th. Perhaps that’s when the real journey begins.”
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Not a contractor anymore but do have a tiny business with online sales so have a lot of personal details. A lot of the stuff that applies to larger businesses, making your staff aware of procedures, providing training to deal with data breaches etc. is obviously irrelevant. The main things I have done are:

a) Updating privacy policy - saying what I use data for and how long it's kept in general.
      b) Having a link so they can ask to see what data I have on them or request removal.
      c) Writing some tools to delete personal data from online database records over a certain age, when I no longer need to chase payments etc.

Think that about covers it. Got a lot of stuff in old excel accounts records but I could delete that manually if needed. Ditto deal with an individual request for view/deletion in database.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Not a contractor anymore but do have a tiny business with online sales so have a lot of personal details. A lot of the stuff that applies to larger businesses, making your staff aware of procedures, providing training to deal with data breaches etc. is obviously irrelevant. The main things I have done are:

a) Updating privacy policy - saying what I use data for and how long it's kept in general.
        b) Having a link so they can ask to see what data I have on them or request removal.
        c) Writing some tools to delete personal data from online database records over a certain age, when I no longer need to chase payments etc.

Think that about covers it. Got a lot of stuff in old excel accounts records but I could delete that manually if needed. Ditto deal with an individual request for view/deletion in database.

Pretty much spot on.

We have decided to keep financial records for 7 years (from point at which balance is zero,which I think is a tax thing) but any other PII data we have will be gone within 6 months to 1 year. The biggest challenge we seem to have is with our marketing team who have not seemed to fathom that they cannot now keep customer data for an indeterminate length of time and use it for whatever they want.

In another area we are trialing something which potentially may have meant we would have to pass our network tablets/laptops to clients so they could perform an online credit check/finance application - again had to stress that we cannot do this as we would be handing to the member of the general public a device which can be used to access PII in an unauthorised manner. Again people seem to be trying to sweep this under the carpet.

Maybe I have missed the point but my understanding was GDPR was bought in with the express purpose of stopping these sorts of practices.

For me however what these people want does not actually add that much value and the risk of GDPR breach brings such a large fine you just need to say NO!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          read this https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...gulation-gdpr/

They're the people who will enforce it in the UK. Every other source is selling you something.
          And you're right that you don't have to worry too much. It sounds like all you'll have are email to/from people that count. If someone says 'delete my data' then delete their emails.
          Thanks for this link!

Comment

Working...
          X