• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Downloading large Google Drive files with Chrome: failed due to network error

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloading large Google Drive files with Chrome: failed due to network error

I have 2 15GB files to download from google-drive. When I try from Chrome (Mac) they keep failing due to "network error" - no idea if my internet is momentarily dropping or it's some other issue but Chrome isn't able to resume and starts the entire download each time!

Can anyone suggest a reliable option or various options for this? I'd expected Chrome to support resuming part/failed downloads but whether it should not not, it doesn't in this case!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

can you ftp to GoogleDrive?
    FileZilla if so

Comment

Back in the day of dialup and 2 hour max sessions, getright was the dog's wotsits.

Though, judging by the site, it doesn't know anything newer than Win7.

Ah.

"Development status: inactive".

When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I have 2 15GB files to download from google-drive. When I try from Chrome (Mac) they keep failing due to "network error" - no idea if my internet is momentarily dropping or it's some other issue but Chrome isn't able to resume and starts the entire download each time!

Can anyone suggest a reliable option or various options for this? I'd expected Chrome to support resuming part/failed downloads but whether it should not not, it doesn't in this case!
        For files that large, you're going to need to download and install the Google Backup & Sync application to allow you to "sync" the files within your Google Drive to your local hard disk.

You can do this selectively (not individual files, but on a folder by folder basis I think) if you want.

The application effectively uses the Google Drive API so will work far better for large files than trying to do it via a browser.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          ...When I try from Chrome (Mac) they keep failing due to "network error" ...
          Get a PC, download it, put on USB, copy it your toy (assuming Mac's can read a standard USB).
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Get a PC, download it, put on USB, copy it your toy (assuming Mac's can read a standard USB).
            download it with what? why would a browser work any better on a windoze platform? - or unix/linux?

Comment

This might be worth a butcher's
              https://github.com/andresoviedo/goog...ve-ftp-adapter

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                download it with what?
                Another, non-apple computer. If you are an irrational hater of all things Microsoft, you could try one with a linux distro on it.

PC <> Windows. HTH.

why would a browser work any better on a windoze platform? - or unix/linux?
                Because Apple products are well known for having compatability issues with anything non-Apple.

In any case, it's always worth checking on another computer to figure out where the issue lies - that way you can target where you need to fix. Basic troubleshooting.

Is the problem the OS?
                Is the problem the broswer?
                Is the problem Google Drive?
                Does the problem lie between keyboard and chair?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I sometimes get the issue on Google Drive on Safari where there's too many redirects.

Safari security says if a web page is trying to do multiple redirects, it's probably not safe.
                  Google Drive says you must have one url that redirects about 10 times to get to the actual file location.

Why does Google Drive insist on all the redirects? (there is a workaround involving deleting google cache every so often, or installing Chrome which thinks dangerous redirects are acceptable)
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I've had that problem the other way round - PC couldn't download it, so I downloaded to the Mac then transferred it using USB
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X