• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to buy cables and techy stuff?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy cables and techy stuff?

Amazon clearly sells everything but it is not always the best place to find things, especially if you're not sure what you need.

I'm after some ethernet cables and fittings and would rather buy them somewhere I can phone and ask questions if needed - where would you recommend? Other than Amazon the only places I buy things these days are Screwfix and Laithwaites and neither of them are much use.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Amazon clearly sells everything but it is not always the best place to find things, especially if you're not sure what you need.

I'm after some ethernet cables and fittings and would rather buy them somewhere I can phone and ask questions if needed - where would you recommend? Other than Amazon the only places I buy things these days are Screwfix and Laithwaites and neither of them are much use.
    Cheapest place I have found for that is Clas Ohlson - but not sure if they are the quality you want.

Alternatively i have always found this place to be good...

https://www.aria.co.uk

Comment

I used these guys when I networked the house:
      https://www.fruitycables.co.uk/pages/contact-us

They were pretty good and held a lot of the stock I wanted but knew what I wanted so didn't have too many questions! What are you looking to do?

Comment

Places like this?
        Join IPSE

Comment

You could try Maplin before they're gone for good?

Comment

Lindy
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
              I used these guys when I networked the house:
              https://www.fruitycables.co.uk/pages/contact-us

They were pretty good and held a lot of the stock I wanted but knew what I wanted so didn't have too many questions! What are you looking to do?
              Really not very much but I've never done it before. I basically want to put a cable between my router and my office which is on the same floor - we have the floors up anyway so I figured might as well lay cables and fit boxes properly.
              Just two wall-boxes 2/4 sockets and 1-4 runs of cable each about 10m, depending if I want to put a switch next to the router, or in the office. I don't really have plans to wire more of the house so I don't even need a switch right now.

But even looking at Cat6 cable there are loads of types, and most places only sell by the 300m drum. I can find what tool(s) I need easily enough but I almost wish I could just get a couple of longish patch cables

Comment

Bit off topic but you can get flat ethernet cables that you can just run under the carpet.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

quick google?
                  Eternet Cables

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    quick google?
                    Eternet Cables
                    Well if they're on Google they must be good.

But PVC Vs UTP how on earth do I know?! I just want a sodding cable

Also did you misspell Ethernet or did they?

Comment

Working...
                    X