• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NAS or MicroServer (or ???) for centralised home digital media

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I’ve a Western Digital TV Hub (I think it’s called that) which has photos, videos and audio on it. It’s connected to the TV and is on the network. The music folder is then visible in the Sonos apps on computers/tablets/phones and we can play different music and different playlists through different speakers in the house.
    I’m not sure of the quality of Chromecast Audio, but you might be able to do something similar.
    If it was just for audio, then it would only need to be a storage device visible on the network, Sonos would do the rest.
    One word of warning - your hub may have a USB port, but if it’s a BT hub, you may find that the port is pretty much useless.
    Sounds like a similar device to their other Hubs but tailored for video - I guess it has an HDMI out?

Plex say these NAS are underpowered/unsupported for video transcoding - I think Plex on Arm is limited - but the review linked above said they are easily able to stream 4k video. To be honest Plex was just the first option I saw for "stream local audio using ChromeCast".

CC is seemingly not able to do anything clever like access and process files. It's job is to do a stream with minimal processing as I understand it, unless it is capable but crippled by design. It's easy to think "oh it's £30 it can't do much" but realistically it probably has the hardware capabilities to to stream from local storage, just isn't set up that way.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Another vote for Synology, mine runs Plex, stores all my files of any sort, and also runs my home security cameras.
      World's Best Martini

Comment

£50 for a dlink dns 320.

add ons

ShareCenter - Add-On Applications (Searchable Index)

Kodi on a client like amazon stick or Twonky & plex on the server

squeezebox as well.

Or minidnla

I have a microserver & a Dlink.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Just shove a 128 / 256GB thumb drive into the router. £20 all in, and no electricity wasted. No humming box under the stairs, no server to dust. For a *little* more grunt, lob the memory stick into a Pi instead. Data speed will be limited to about 7 megabytes/sec.

Comment

I have Synology kit too. Very simple to set up and reliably serves to all devices. I have a PC in the living room I use for things like iplayer and steam and have it connected to the NAS to pull down music and anything I've downloaded to watch.

Never had an issue with buffering etc. over wired or wirless.

Comment

Working...
            X