• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motherboards and bent pins FFS!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motherboards and bent pins FFS!

Even today I don't know how I managed to do it.

Replacing CPU on sons mobo. (Its a socket LGA 1151 for those interested).
    First mistake not updating the BIOS before I removed the original CPU (an I5).

New CPU not recognised. So off comes fiddly water cooler again and back goes original CPU. Bummer - wont power on correctly. Eventually got working with just one memory bank.

So upgraded BIOS, removed CPU. Couple of bent pins on mobo - feck. Ever tried to straighten these? Apparently there are 1024 of them. No chance - need eyes like a tuliphouse rat. So do my best and stick the I7 in.

Bummer now won't even power on properly. Remove CPU - major carnage on mobo pins.

So mobo goes in the bin and it cost me £100 for new one. Much better - ASUS one with CPU holder. Clip cpu in plastic thing and stick in slot - job done.

Still don't know how on earth those mobo pins got bent on the original MSI though. All I can think is the clamp was a bit off centre maybe......

Morale of the story - make sure the BIOS is up to date before trying to use a newer processor. And buy a decent motherboard like ASUS where the cpu fitting is easier. At least pins are on £100 mobos these days rather than £300 cpus....

Hey ho - anyone want an MSI mobo for repair?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

https://www.jobserve.com/gb/en/JobLa...gn=InstantJob2
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Manchester - Up to £85 per Day.
      My client provide a competitive day rate.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Manchester - Up to £85 per Day.
        My client provide a competitive day rate.

But I'd probably fail the tech test.

"Here we are replace this cpu"

"Oops I've bent the pins"

Comment

I did similar on a prototype only-one-of-its-kind mobo at ClientCo. It was to verify their h/w upgrade instructions were correct. I was due to report the results to a whole raft of senior execs within the hour and was mentally preparing my PII claim. Luckily the labtech was still onsite and a managed to straighten the 5 bent pins.

Comment

Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
            I did similar on a prototype only-one-of-its-kind mobo at ClientCo. It was to verify their h/w upgrade instructions were correct. I was due to report the results to a whole raft of senior execs within the hour and was mentally preparing my PII claim. Luckily the labtech was still onsite and a managed to straighten the 5 bent pins.
            Ha ha - over 1000 pins on a socket 1151 mobo and I bent a good 10% of them. Can imagine how small they are on a 2" square socket.

No chance with my eyes....

Comment

Morale of the story - Don't be a useless w****er and if you are don't tell every man his dog what a useless w****er you are ad infinitum..
              FTFY

General please with the usual infraction for Psychowibbles in the prof forums Mods. Many thanks.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                FTFY

General please with the usual infraction for Psychowibbles in the prof forums Mods. Many thanks.
                Seeing as even I with my awesome technical ability have managed to bend mobo pins, request denied.

However, calling for a member to be infracted is probably cause for a ban. If I can only figure out how the interface works. OK. I've got nluk's profile. Is it the ban button? 😜
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

nluk probably never ever seen a motherboard. Hes too important to get involved with stuff like that....

Comment

Working...
                  X