• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Desktop left out in the rain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    ah, you weren't clear it was only the data that concerned you, sorry.

so do tell, - how did it come to be out in the rain for a week?
    I'm sure i'm not the only one who needs to know
    How else are you supposed to clean a computer??

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      How else are you supposed to clean a computer??
      If your PC has been p0rned: -

Comment

I know this works. Take out all the small parts, CPU, RAM, HDD, etc and put them in the microwave for about 15 mins to dry out.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          I know this works. Take out all the small parts, CPU, RAM, HDD, etc and put them in the microwave for about 15 mins to dry out.
          Bollox! RealityHack always said that microwaves should only be used for hamsters: -

https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...ml#post1488728

And even then only during mod initiation ceremonies....

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
            I thought that's how to wireless charge an iphone?

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
              I thought that's how to wireless charge an iphone?
              So 10 minutes for a new phone, increase by 5 minutes for each year old it is?

Comment

Sounds like someone forgot they had some BTC stored on a machine they've thrown out...

Comment

Probably too late now but are we talking 2.5" drive or 3.5"? SSD or Spinning Platters?

If its a 3.5" Spinning Platter drive you might be in luck - Generally they are air tight so one assumes water tight too so the platters are probably ok.

The only main issue would be the controller being ****ed, which if its wet is likely.

And thats where it being a 3.5" drive comes in... Depending on manufacturer the board can normally be removed. If you can find another drive with the same board you can swap them and retrieve your data - Ive done this once because I shorted a board by being stupid.. though I had two identical drives to hand already - you might not be as lucky getting one that will work.

Comment

Working...
                  X