• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online I.T./computing article sites for the casual reader

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some online sources of easy reading I.T. related articles for over crimbo.

A time to peak up from the 'day job' to see what else is happening out there in the world of I.T. and wider computing technologies. Maybe even find inspiration for a workable plan b.

Still miss Byte magazine.

Anyone got any favourites that are open access, even if they ultimately want you to subscribe to their magazine for deeper content?

A few I've stumbled upon:

High Scalability Particularly like the inside info on how the household names, and lots more, got their tulip together and continue to do so. Could spend days reading through the All Time Favorites

Communications of the ACM Has an archive of every article published over the last 50 years. See if you can spot the pattern of wheel re-inventing over the decades, from mainframe (cloud) to thin client (internet browser) to fat client (smartphone) and back again.

MIT Technology Review Free access to 3 articles a month. Can subscribe for more. Apparently has magazine PDF archive going back to 1899. Now we know where Nick Fitz gets some of the obscure links from.

Computing Now

Discover Magazine: The latest in science and technology news, blogs and articles - computers

https://www.computing.co.uk/
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Thanks but I don't need help to go to sleep over the festive period.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Try reading one of the articles.

Comment

I dunno, mix it with a bit of crimbo alcohol and may end up with a bonkers plan b.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

General business

el reg? (TheRegister)

or running a business & thoughts.
          Joel Spolsky (Stack exchange) or Jeff Attwood (coding horror)
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
          X