• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HTTPS on the ContractorUK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    that's the attitude. You don't want to make any effort to protect your members.
    Your passwords for everything you do should be unique.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

that's the attitude. You don't want to make any effort to protect your members.
      Protect them from what?

The site holds no personal data that could be used to scam you. The most an attacker could get would be the email address you used to register. If you use the same Email and password combination elsewhere for anything thats actually important then that's your own damn fault and no-one is going to protect you from your own stupidity.

I suppose in theory they could get hold of the members emails, spam them with emails claiming to be from CUK and trying to get them to go to a subverted or malicious site or to try and and install malware but your standard local protection (AV, Common sense) would mitigate against that in the same way it does against all the other malicious spam everyone gets and frankly the user base is just too small to make it worth the effort.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Protect them from what?

The site holds no personal data that could be used to scam you. The most an attacker could get would be the email address you used to register. If you use the same Email and password combination elsewhere for anything thats actually important then that's your own damn fault and no-one is going to protect you from your own stupidity.

I suppose in theory they could get hold of the members emails, spam them with emails claiming to be from CUK and trying to get them to go to a subverted or malicious site or to try and and install malware but your standard local protection (AV, Common sense) would mitigate against that in the same way it does against all the other malicious spam everyone gets and frankly the user base is just too small to make it worth the effort.
        Look, if you have a site that takes and stores email and password then you should protect it. Simple, don't pass the buck. Good manners.

Comment

Look, if you have a site that takes and stores email and password then you should protect it. Simple, don't pass the buck. Good manners.
          You are welcome to stop posting on this site if you don't agree with the security set up. No one is forcing you to be here.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            You are welcome to stop posting on this site if you don't agree with the security set up. No one is forcing you to be here.
            But I am here and I'm in technical saying that if you capture login/password you should have basic security. Now you may not agree but that's not an excuse to say to people piss off is it.

Comment

But I am here and I'm in technical saying that if you capture login/password you should have basic security. Now you may not agree but that's not an excuse to say to people piss off is it.
              Actually it is.

If you don't agree how a free to use forum is set up then stop using it.

Comment

Actually it is.

Why have you put Free forum in bold. You know they advertise and promote services to make money.

Rather than leave a forum I use I would rather say that the security should be improved. Basic stuff. I've said it before it's not a huge issue to me, surprised it just hasn't been done.

If you don't agree with my comment, feel free to never use the technical forums again in case you see one of my comments you don't agree with.

Comment

Why have you put Free forum in bold. You know they advertise and promote services to make money.

Rather than leave a forum I use I would rather say that the security should be improved. Basic stuff. I've said it before it's not a huge issue to me, surprised it just hasn't been done.

If you don't agree with my comment, feel free to never use the technical forums again in case you see one of my comments you don't agree with.
                  Nah I would just put you I ignore

Btw do you pay to use the forum?

Comment

Nah I would just put you I ignore

Btw do you pay to use the forum?
                    If you want to ask silly and inane questions please do this in general.

Comment

Actually it is.

If you don't pay for the product you are the product.

Equally you can now get free automated ssl certificates because the computer security world wants SSL in general use to avoid man in the middle attacks...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X