• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solar power-battery-frost heater for garage solutions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar power-battery-frost heater for garage solutions?

Anyone run any kind of solar frost protection heating or anything like that for garages/sheds etc?

Is it even viable or something that just doesn't work in the UK?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Anyone run any kind of solar frost protection heating or anything like that for garages/sheds etc?

Is it even viable or something that just doesn't work in the UK?
    Just position a solar power kit in the garden, something like this.
    Solar Power Station 80W Select solar The solar professionals Select Solar - The solar power professionals

Then use some kind of cable, like this to connect it to the garage..
    https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-5m...er-cable-n89ef

Then get a heater and connect up.
    The best portable heaters

Might need some kind of battery in between.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Might need some kind of battery in between.
      No tulip Sherlock - an 80W solar panel and a 1kW heater...

Comment

Get a solar panel (80-100W is plenty), connect it to one of these:
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-Solar...o/182650504173
        Connect that to two batteries:
        PAIR OF 2X 12V 135AH 135 AH Leisure Battery DEEP CYCLE for Motorhome / Caravan | eBay
        Then hang a heater off them. You could stick an inverter in to go to 230V, but I'd suggest just sticking at 12V. You could probably go up to around a 400W heater, but whether you need that or not, I don't know, so here's a smaller one...
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150W-12V-...e/401417494835
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
          No tulip Sherlock - an 80W solar panel and a 1kW heater...
          it was a joke, bad of me in the professional forum. But related to another thread where everyone suggested making things with boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            it was a joke, bad of me in the professional forum. But related to another thread where everyone suggested making things with boxes.
            And I not only helped you in your time of need, I even gave you a hug
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OK, better option:
              200W Mono 24v LCD Solar Panel Kit 10 Year Panel Warranty Z Brackets Sheds Homes | eBay

£200 for the panel and controller, then get a couple of leisure batteries and run the heater off them
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Doesn't look like there is much ROI, when you consider batteries etc.

Comment

Just position a mirror in southern facing garden to point through garage window.

Alternatively run a hot air pipe from your computer desk to garage.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    And I not only helped you in your time of need, I even gave you a hug
                    I know, I was just hitting out. In my defense at least the quality of my answer for your question indicates why I'm not allowed near drills and hammers to make things.

Comment

Working...
                    X