• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solar power-battery-frost heater for garage solutions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Alternatively run a hot air pipe from your computer desk to garage.
    Hee hee.. Me likey.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      Doesn't look like there is much ROI, when you consider batteries etc.
      And I thought that might be the bottom line. I didn't know with so much focus on solar energy and the like that the tech might have moved on and prices dropped to be a bit more viable. The fact I was struggling to find any kind of 'packaged solution' at a reasonable price was speaking volumes to me.

The garage is only going to connect to the house on one wall so isn't going to benefit from residual heat like the integrals ones do so didn't know if people heated/insulated theirs if it was similarly located.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

https://home.howstuffworks.com/green...ge-furnace.htm

Comment

(I only got as far as collecting enough beer cans...)

Comment

Does anything solar work in the bleak expanse that you call home?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              And I thought that might be the bottom line. I didn't know with so much focus on solar energy and the like that the tech might have moved on and prices dropped to be a bit more viable. The fact I was struggling to find any kind of 'packaged solution' at a reasonable price was speaking volumes to me.
              Most of the packaged solutions are just around lighting, so not requiring a lot of power. It's when you want heat that it becomes a bigger issue.
              I've priced up solar to one of the sheds and it would be around £300 to give me lighting and a couple of 5v USB points. To jump up to 230V regulated for a computer and monitor etc basically sticks a zero on the price.
              But comparing that with creating a new circuit in the house, digging up the patio ( ), digging a trench a further 50 metres down the garden, then running trunking and putting a cable down it, well that's going to be quite a bit more (including Part P)
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                The garage is only going to connect to the house on one wall ...
                Staying on my earlier theme, drill a hole in the connecting wall and install a small fan to draw warm air from the house into the garage.

Otherwise, see if there's any solar panel subsidies still available and solar panel the garage roof. Will save you money on electricity in the summer when not needed for heating.

Edit: I expect most people with a connecting garage extend their central heating into it, or just use electric heater via extension cable if no power points in garage, if they're wanting to heat the space.
                Last edited by Hobosapien; 2 November 2017, 08:08.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                X