• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any decent guides to SSL?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any decent guides to SSL?

Need to update small website to SSL but so much on the net seems confusing or conflicting, eg :
    Most guides say all links should be relative but another says absolute URLs are best in some cases, like rel=canonical, for search engines.
    Because I do not have a dedicated IP address, some older browsers will give false warnings.
    Guides say www.mysite.co.uk and mysite.co.uk are not necessarily both covered. Eh? It's the same site!
    I should make sure the content on the HTTP and the HTTPS site is the same. Eh? Ditto.

CONFOOOOOSED. Seem lots of potential problems! Any suggestions for most comprehensive guide? It's with web hosting and does not use any standard systems, Wordpress, jquery, commercial shopping carts etc.

Also best approach to testing. Seem to be so many pitfalls I think I might be better off using another domain to use as a test version, but not sure I can install SSL for a sub domain.

Cheers.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 30 October 2017, 12:17.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Put in a redirect from http to https, and to your preferred domain (with, or without, www, whichever you prefer)
    Work out which webserver you're running and find a guide for setting up ssl on this webserver
    Create a CSR and a private key
    Sort out permissions on the private key so it remains private
    Get a matching certificate using the CSR and some money
    Apply the cert, key, and any CA certs / chain certs needed (CA should tell you which these are, or provide them in the download)
    Restart webserver
    Set a reminder for when the cert runs out

Or something like that

Comment

www.mysite.co.uk isn't the same as mysite.co.uk - it's a subsite and could have a completely different set of content.

Just as:
      myballs.mysite.co.uk and myboobs.mysite.co.uk are not the same thing

Comment

Cheers both.

myballs.mysite.co.uk and myboobs.mysite.co.uk are not the same thing
        They will be on my gender neutral site! .htaccess rewrites cater for all genders, ethnicities, disabilities, species etc. Not lefties tho.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 30 October 2017, 13:46.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Who is your hosting with, they maybe able to help, I am using Let's Encrypt

The SSL certificate will either be given for a site www.mysite.co.uk or a wildcard *.mysite.co.uk which will cover all sub domains including www
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Who is your hosting with, they maybe able to help, I am using Let's Encrypt

The SSL certificate will either be given for a site www.mysite.co.uk or a wildcard *.mysite.co.uk which will cover all sub domains including www
            Have you got Lets Encrypt working with OSX Server? I struggled with it, so gave up!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Have you got Lets Encrypt working with OSX Server? I struggled with it, so gave up!
              Not tried to be fair, all my hosting is with Vidahost and they have a one click button for LE on any site
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
              X