• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Issue trackers and project schedulers (gantt charts)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue trackers and project schedulers (gantt charts)

I'm doing some technical leading on a small team project and am leaning into the PM stuff as well in terms of assigning tasks and monitoring time spent, etc.

The project owner previously acted in this role but is on-technical, we're discussing on tools to use as they basically would like a single gantt-style tool but developers would like an issue-tracker with git integration, automatic release notes, etc.

I don't think there is a single tool which does issue management, time tracking and project scheduling/gantt, which is less work than doing it manually... Jira is a behemoth for instance.
    I'd welcome any general advice about the wisdom of trying to link all our tools Vs having a simple gantt manually updated against a simple issue-tracker.

(we're talking 4-5 developers, currently using BitBucket and SmartSheet, all quite low-budget and small-scale)
    Last edited by d000hg; 11 October 2017, 14:09.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm doing some technical leading on a small team project and am leaning into the PM stuff as well in terms of assigning tasks and monitoring time spent, etc.

The project owner previously acted in this role but is on-technical, we're discussing on tools to use as they basically would like a single gantt-style tool but developers would like an issue-tracker with git integration, automatic release notes, etc.

I don't think there is a single tool which does issue management, time tracking and project scheduling/gantt, which is less work than doing it manually... Jira is a behemoth for instance.
    I'd welcome any general advice about the wisdom of trying to link all our tools Vs having a simple gantt manually updated against a simple issue-tracker.

(we're talking 4-5 developers, currently using BitBucket and SmartSheet, all quite low-budget and small-scale)
    ServiceNow, SharePoint, Excel etc all do the job and will need a level of setting up as you would with Jira. To keep it really simple, use Excel.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Have a look at Trello, has a number of plug-ins for time tracking. I've never done it but believe you can integrate with github.

Comment

Working...
      X