• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monitor went pop... what to get?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I don't like throwing stuff but is it worth the time/cost when I could get a 2nd hand one like-for-like virtually for nothing on GumTree?

And I have been considering upgrading them anyway even though I'm normally a proponent of "ain't broke don't fix it"... one failing is in a way sort of convenient as I get a good reason to buy something new
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

PM'd you.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I really want to get a new monitor (probably two), mainly because I need more device inputs and don't want to keep faffing with cables round the back.

At the moment I have a pair of HP w22 monitors that are 10 years old but work fine, will probably gumtree them when I finally get around to replacing. I'm currently in the analysis paralysis stage where I have a vague idea what I want but unable to make a decision.

Comment

I have one of these at home:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-25UM58-P...screen+monitor

Firstly I wasnt sure, but after using it at a company for a few weeks, I went out and bought one for home.

Comment

Have used this a client site http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-...or-accessories

Excellent screens

Comment

Another vote for iiyama here...
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Do people reckon 4K or similar is worthwhile? I can see on a 30"+ screen it might be especially if you do photo/video work, but on a more normal sized monitor used for web-browsing and coding...?

I also have some concerns RDP-ing into client systems what resolution they can support. Fears I'd end up with it in a tiny box in one corner of my fancy monitor

Comment

For sure 4k is only usable if the pixel size is large enough that scaling isn't required so fonts are readable at native resolution, otherwise it defeats the purpose to some degree.

I reckon around 40" is the ideal. Monitor not too massive (like sat in front of a TV) but can still use the 4x1080 space that 4k is equivalent to without needing a magnifying glass.

Not sure if RDP is constrained by host video card when it's being provided by network rather than video card output, so may be able to specify higher resolutions if required.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Not sure if RDP is constrained by host video card when it's being provided by network rather than video card output, so may be able to specify higher resolutions if required.
                    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...solutions.aspx
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      For sure 4k is only usable if the pixel size is large enough that scaling isn't required so fonts are readable at native resolution, otherwise it defeats the purpose to some degree.

I reckon around 40" is the ideal. Monitor not too massive (like sat in front of a TV)
                      40" IS a TV. I have a 32" TV on the end of my desk (sadly only 720p so no use for work) and having that as my monitor would feel obtrusive, let alone 40"!

Unless I sat in a recliner chair with keyboard and mouse several feet away. Which I have sometimes thought about as a home-office idea when space isn't at a premium.

Comment

Working...
                      X