• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Current NAS recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    2 8GB drives?
    That's why its cheap. And because he's never tried to restore the data he isn't aware that they just continually overwrite the previous files when the disk is full....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      adding a hard disk cache drive remedies the issue which was why their introduced the cache drive concept.
      Decided to mess around with unraid on one of my microservers. Not bad so far, but the cache drive couldn't help with the initial seed of 4 TB of data that will take 2 days to copy... and then 1 more day for the parity

Comment

I have my NAS configured into 2TB NFS volumes, each which is mirrored.

Every now and then I backup each of these 2TB volumes onto a separate external USB disk, then keep those in a small fire safe.

The NAS contains real data, movies, music, virtual machines and backups of PC's.

Every week or so I backup the important data onto an external drive via a Windows PC by running a DOS batch script. This keeps four copies.

Every year I backup the important data and put a copy on the NAS.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          Decided to mess around with unraid on one of my microservers. Not bad so far, but the cache drive couldn't help with the initial seed of 4 TB of data that will take 2 days to copy... and then 1 more day for the parity
          I liked UNRAID... until the time I had to reboot it and somehow the USB with the UNRAID s/w had become corrupted and I couldn't get the system up. I did have a backup of the USB and managed to get it going, but it put me off using it further. I bought a QNAP which is ok - a bit noisy TBH, and very expensive compared to a Microserver.

Anyone want to buy a Microserver on the cheap?

Comment

Resurrecting an old(ish) thread..

Looking at replacing my ageing NetGear ReadyNas Duo - Currently one of the variants of the QNAP TS-251 series (possibly the + or A models) look promising.

Anyone here have any experience with them?

Data storage (obviously) and media streaming are the two main requirements although I'm intrigued by their potential for VM hosting.
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
              Resurrecting an old(ish) thread..

Looking at replacing my ageing NetGear ReadyNas Duo - Currently one of the variants of the QNAP TS-251 series (possibly the + or A models) look promising.

Anyone here have any experience with them?

Data storage (obviously) and media streaming are the two main requirements although I'm intrigued by their potential for VM hosting.
              I’m more than happy with my WD DL4100, rock solid as a NAS but I’ve started to put grow it in terms of running multiple VMs from it via iSCSI
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

When people talk about VM hosting, is that with comms just over Gigabit, or do they support suberfast connectivity if you do a direct connection via USB3 or something?

Is VM use basically just RDP, if so obviously you don't need a fast connection.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  I’m more than happy with my WD DL4100, rock solid as a NAS but I’ve started to put grow it in terms of running multiple VMs from it via iSCSI
                  I was also looking at the WD PR2100 which I think is the pro 2 bay version of yours. How well does the DL4100 stream / transcode?
                  Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                    I was also looking at the WD PR2100 which I think is the pro 2 bay version of yours. How well does the DL4100 stream / transcode?
                    I upped the RAM in mine, and it's fine for PLEX, I leave it to what ever setting the content is in (usually 720p rather than 1080p), it's fine locally and over the internet and I think I've had three account streaming off it at once
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X