• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using VPN to access Netflix in the UK from abroad.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following up on this thread, I looked at PIA as recommended here. It looks pretty OK but the number and location of servers is not so good for me. East Asia is covered but the gulf region of the Middle East seems very poorly supported. I asked about PIA using Skype in UAE and nearby countries. This is what they said -
    Thanks for reaching out to us today, Fred.

We don't see why the VPN would not work,

However as for working with Skype our application does not work.

Let us know if you have anymore questions for us.
    I have sent a couple of follow up questions but no answer so far.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

A possible alternative is to use kodi with the exodus plugin. Most things seem to be on there.

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
        A possible alternative is to use kodi with the exodus plugin. Most things seem to be on there.
        Yes, it is bizarre that Netflix would seemingly prefer me to use Kodi instead of paying the my UK subs but accessing it from abroad. A weird way of thinking to me.

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
          Still legal I understand because it's streamed rather than downloaded. Wonder how long that will last.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Still legal I understand because it's streamed rather than downloaded. Wonder how long that will last.
            That seems to be a widely held view on the web, but then again, you'd suppose it would be. I know the prosecutions being brought have all been about people selling Kodi boxes with plug ins already installed. I guess until there is a real high profile case of Kodi use rather than Kodi ownership, we'll never know how legal it is? I decided against a Kodi box, I just run it on my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Yes, it is bizarre that Netflix would seemingly prefer me to use Kodi instead of paying the my UK subs but accessing it from abroad. A weird way of thinking to me.
              It's not Netflix; it's about the way TV and film rights are sold by country. Netflix would like to buy something once and make it available everywhere, which is what they do for their own content. I guess the production companies have forced Netflix to start taking it more seriously.

Kodi news:

Kodi WARNING - UK police make shock announcement as crackdown continues | Tech | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

Exodus news:

https://torrentfreak.com/popular-kod...botnet-170203/
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                That seems to be a widely held view on the web, but then again, you'd suppose it would be. I know the prosecutions being brought have all been about people selling Kodi boxes with plug ins already installed. I guess until there is a real high profile case of Kodi use rather than Kodi ownership, we'll never know how legal it is? I decided against a Kodi box, I just run it on my laptop.
                I have it installed on a VM watched a couple of films on it. I find the quality is poor but it's free.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  I have it installed on a VM watched a couple of films on it. I find the quality is poor but it's free.
                  My experience too. The films I watched (or rather intended to watch), some were very obviously recorded on a camcorder in the cinema! I'll let you guess what the quality of those was like!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    It's not Netflix; it's about the way TV and film rights are sold by country. Netflix would like to buy something once and make it available everywhere, which is what they do for their own content. I guess the production companies have forced Netflix to start taking it more seriously.

Kodi news:

Kodi WARNING - UK police make shock announcement as crackdown continues | Tech | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

Exodus news:

https://torrentfreak.com/popular-kod...botnet-170203/
                    Thanks, yes I know what Netflix say, but I pay for a UK account and I am a UK citizen. I can't really understand the real problem of a UK account holder watching
                    his paid for UK account streaming from a UK server to my laptop that just happens to be out of the UK. Oh well.

Regarding the Exodus stuff thanks, I was unaware of the controversy there.

And the police action? Well, it's still the same stuff. They still appear to be going after re-sellers of Android boxes loaded with plug ins. Anyone who wants to use Kodi to watch what may or may not be illegal content on their laptop or tablet isn't (yet) a target as far as I can see. Kodi is a legal media player app, how can they prosecute people for having it installed on their lappy?

Comment

I've heard good things about Freedome from F-Secure. They're based in Sweden. Not tried them yet, on my to do list to have a bash at the free trial.

Comment

Working...
                      X