• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signing in to BBC website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing in to BBC website

Can't seem to log in. Yesterday, I was logged in but was getting an error message when trying to look at the programmes I'd saved on iPlayer. So, I followed the FAQ, cleared all the cookies, emptied the cache, etc. Now I can't log in at all.

In Firefox I get "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete." I have followed all the hints and tips on the Mozilla website, still no difference. I even turned off AV and my firewall. I also turned off the setting about telling sites not track me. Still get the same error message. Cookies are all fully enabled, even though I used to be more restrictive with them.

In IE, I just get "Page cannot be displayed". Did all the same shizzle re cookies and cache.

Had a web chat with BBC support and they didn't have a clue, I've been referred to their tech guys who will respond sometime in the next 10 days. They told me to disable HTML5 support, made no difference.

No issues on other websites I frequent. I ran CCleaner and ticked all the boxes to wipe out pretty much everything then restarted.

What's next on the idiot list that can I try?

Well after all that faffing about, I spotted that my laptop was set to the wrong time. It said I was in London/Dublin timezone with the appropriate summer time adjustment but it was an hour ahead.

Forced a resync with a different time server and now the BBC will let me log in and pick up where I left off.

As you were, peeps.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Well after all that faffing about, I spotted that my laptop was set to the wrong time. It said I was in London/Dublin timezone with the appropriate summer time adjustment but it was an hour ahead.

Forced a resync with a different time server and now the BBC will let me log in and pick up where I left off.

As you were, peeps.
      Spent a whole evening trying to get my tablet working properly before noticing the wrong time

Comment

For those running iPlayer apps, there was a major issue with a recent release of it which meant the app crashed every time you went to view your download queue. They've released a fix today which allegedly works.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Can't seem to log in. Yesterday, I was logged in but was getting an error message when trying to look at the programmes I'd saved on iPlayer. So, I followed the FAQ, cleared all the cookies, emptied the cache, etc. Now I can't log in at all.

In Firefox I get "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete." I have followed all the hints and tips on the Mozilla website, still no difference. I even turned off AV and my firewall. I also turned off the setting about telling sites not track me. Still get the same error message. Cookies are all fully enabled, even though I used to be more restrictive with them.

In IE, I just get "Page cannot be displayed". Did all the same shizzle re cookies and cache.

Had a web chat with BBC support and they didn't have a clue, I've been referred to their tech guys who will respond sometime in the next 10 days. They told me to disable HTML5 support, made no difference.

No issues on other websites I frequent. I ran CCleaner and ticked all the boxes to wipe out pretty much everything then restarted.

What's next on the idiot list that can I try?

TL;DR Standard tech support response...

Try a reboot
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Wrong time/date can cause a lot of problems. Even Windows saying your version is not legit.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
            X