• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A VM Strategy for the Home Environment. :)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A VM Strategy for the Home Environment. :)

Hi All,

So I've got my Dell T20 all set up running Windows 2012 R2 Server, and VMWare Workstation Pro to run Virtual Machines. The idea being keep the W12 Server 'clean' with minimal extra software, all that can go on the VM's which can easily be rolled back etc. Got W10 and W7 Ultimate so far, mainly for file sharing activities. Bridged so they can all talk. Host is effectively the storage server too.

All going well until Mrs.rl4 asks if she can log on to the computer, like she always has (Account on old Windows 7 box). Had issues in the past where e.g. Firefox was running on her account and I couldn't update it was in use.

So long and short is I want a separate VM for her but ideally not by logging into W12 Server to get to it. Is this possible? Just getting up to speed on VM's so ideally don't really want to go down the route of Headless servers, HyperV, Separate Domain Controllers etc. What do other folks do on here?
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    Hi All,

So I've got my Dell T20 all set up running Windows 2012 R2 Server, and VMWare Workstation Pro to run Virtual Machines. The idea being keep the W12 Server 'clean' with minimal extra software, all that can go on the VM's which can easily be rolled back etc. Got W10 and W7 Ultimate so far, mainly for file sharing activities. Bridged so they can all talk. Host is effectively the storage server too.

All going well until Mrs.rl4 asks if she can log on to the computer, like she always has (Account on old Windows 7 box). Had issues in the past where e.g. Firefox was running on her account and I couldn't update it was in use.

So long and short is I want a separate VM for her but ideally not by logging into W12 Server to get to it. Is this possible? Just getting up to speed on VM's so ideally don't really want to go down the route of Headless servers, HyperV, Separate Domain Controllers etc. What do other folks do on here?
    Get her a cheap tablet!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Get her a cheap tablet!
      Got a cheap tablet, but it's more for her professional qualification stuff so you need a desk and a keyboard.
      "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Dual boot?

Comment

Got a cheap tablet, but it's more for her professional qualification stuff so you need a desk and a keyboard.
          Get her a £200 laptop or desktop, unless space is the issue?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Dual boot?
            Naa. It's a server, I don't want to be rebooting it cos she wants to send an email. It's on 24/7 for a 99.99% Uptime of torrent downloading and file sharing/file store.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Get her a £200 laptop or desktop, unless space is the issue?
            Well the server (or rather, the monitors for it) is in the home office cos that's where the desk space and cabinets are, don't really want to clutter it up with extra leads and stuff.

How about, can I lock down an account on W12 Server so the only thing the user can do is a Remote Desktop into a VM? That could work couldn't it? Possibly do it as a startup command?
            Last edited by rl4engc; 10 February 2017, 12:05.

Comment

Ummm if she's got something to RDP from then why does she need an account on the server?

Personally as a hypervisor I'd be using ESXi as apart from anything else it doesn't need a GUI.

If your Mrs needs a desktop rather than just email, then just buy a cheapo Dell and have done with it. You'll regret it when your server (instead of her desktop) is cluttered up with random crap otherwise.....
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                Ummm if she's got something to RDP from then why does she need an account on the server?

Personally as a hypervisor I'd be using ESXi as apart from anything else it doesn't need a GUI.

If your Mrs needs a desktop rather than just email, then just buy a cheapo Dell and have done with it. You'll regret it when your server (instead of her desktop) is cluttered up with random crap otherwise.....
                Think he wants her to log onto main w12 host with a restricted account and rpd to auto started W7 guest on VMware workstation

Sounds like a right faff.

Comment

bet her a rapberry pi and rdp to the win7 vm
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Naa. It's a server, I don't want to be rebooting it cos she wants to send an email. It's on 24/7 for a 99.99% Uptime of torrent downloading and file sharing/file store.

Well the server (or rather, the monitors for it) is in the home office cos that's where the desk space and cabinets are, don't really want to clutter it up with extra leads and stuff.

How about, can I lock down an account on W12 Server so the only thing the user can do is a Remote Desktop into a VM? That could work couldn't it? Possibly do it as a startup command?
                    You could:
                    - Lock down the 2012 server so it starts up a VM on boot, or something, like you've suggested.
                    Or
                    - Lock down her desktop so that the icons all point to a specific VM and make the most of the Unity feature in VMware. This will help to make it look seamless to her.
                    Don't forget to remove the ability for her to shutdown the server.
                    Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Working...
                    X