• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Netflix - Get rid of Sky?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix - Get rid of Sky?

So I was given an Apple TV box for Christmas and it came installed with Netflix.
    Daughter now only watches Netflix, we don't watch much on Sky.

My Smart TV has YouTube and a digital tuner.

I think I should get rid of Sky - thoughts?

Yeah do it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Don't Do it.

Comment

Do it if you want to

Comment

Don't do it if you don't want to.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Yeah do it. No don't do it. Yeah do it.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I got rid of it just before Christmas. My new Smart TV has Netflix, web browsing, Youtube etc built in. Bought a Humax Freesat box as I could just plug my old Sky lead into it and it means I'm not totally dependent on my broadband connection. It also has Now TV on it if you occasionally get desperate for Sky content and have a moral objection to Torrents. My kids stopped using the TV around a year ago so they don't miss it.

Even Skys offers of a new box and 60% off any package for 12 months haven't tempted me.

Comment

This is why I got rid of Sky; about 18 months ago now. I realised I was watching far more on Netflix for £7pm (or whatever it is) than on Sky for £45pm.

I have a NowTV account that I've mostly used for F1, but last year I bought the entertainment pass just to watch Game of Thrones and then cancelled it again. I also accepted Plusnet's offer of Youview for £5pm (which turned out to be £0pm after they gave me a £5pm discount on the broadband), so still get some worthwhile channels like Discovery and Eurosport which I would have missed.

Now there's some decent competition Sky's pricing (and Virgin's for that matter) look pretty ridiculous, and they've shot themselves in the foot with NowTV.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Do a value for money assessment - what channels do you still watch and what part(s) of your Sky subscription can you bin off? Just go on to your account on the Sky website and remove them. I binned off Sky Sports because it's £25 a month and there's not enough that we watch to justify that spend. Swapped that for Netflix, a family Spotify account and saved £2 a month overall.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X