Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 18

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cloud adoption by companies

One for the cloud types working in the real world.

With companies adopting cloud technologies it made me wonder which, if any, was more popular between IaaS, PaaS and SaaS?

Many questions here....

So are companies moving servers and applications from their on site datacenters (probably already virtualised) into IaaS, so really creating virtual datacenters in a public cloud?

or are they taking the application and re-engineering using PaaS?

Are they ditching the current application and using SaaS maybe even from the current application vendor?

I can see PaaS being used by developers for POC and testing, does it stop there or is the application stay on PaaS or is it deployed into a private cloud?

Which leads me onto how much up take of private cloud and hybrid cloud, or is it just all going public cloud?

I know that's a lot of questions\scenarios and all will be being used, but I'm just trying to get a feel for where the bulk of the activity is currently being carried out?
    Last edited by gables; 5th January 2017 at 20:48.

Some things in Moderation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cloud adoption by companies

Quote Originally Posted by gables View Post
    One for the cloud types working in the real world.

With companies adopting cloud technologies it made me wonder which, if any, was more popular between IaaS, PaaS and SaaS?

Many questions here....

So are companies moving servers and applications from their on site datacenters (probably already virtualised) into IaaS, so really creating virtual datacenters in a public cloud?

or are they taking the application and re-engineering using PaaS?

Are they ditching the current application and using SaaS maybe even from the current application vendor?

I can see PaaS being used by developers for POC and testing, does it stop there or is the application stay on PaaS or is it deployed into a private cloud?

Which leads me onto how much up take of private cloud and hybrid cloud, or is it just all going public cloud?

I know that's a lot of questions\scenarios and all will be being used, but I'm just trying to get a feel for where the bulk of the activity is currently being carried out?

Too many questions and scenarios. But I can give you a blanket answer.

It depends.

It depends on the business, their requirements, what they want the cloud for, their risk profile, their work practices and how much money they're willing to spend.

SaaS for things like ServiceNow or Remedy OnDemand, AWS and Azure to replace data centres or green-field projects or new Agile/DevOps working practices.

I know that's a lot of answers but just marry them up with your questions and you're away...

Some things in Moderation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, and security (or lack thereof) and regulatory compliance are massive but rarely mentioned problems for public cloud users.

Super poster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    Oh, and security (or lack thereof) and regulatory compliance are massive but rarely mentioned problems for public cloud users.
    Yup am involved with some gaming companies and they often have to host in a specific country.

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Too many questions and scenarios. But I can give you a blanket answer.

It depends.

It depends on the business, their requirements, what they want the cloud for, their risk profile, their work practices and how much money they're willing to spend.

SaaS for things like ServiceNow or Remedy OnDemand, AWS and Azure to replace data centres or green-field projects or new Agile/DevOps working practices.

I know that's a lot of answers but just marry them up with your questions and you're away...
    Fair enough, I thought that might the case, I was just curious if there was an area with the most amount of activity.

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup, I was talking with a fella whose mantra is cloud, cloud, cloud; I mentioned security and that was taken as me building a wall and being negative about cloud, which I'm not.
    Last edited by gables; 6th January 2017 at 09:10.

TykeLike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The market for cloud is huge, not just from the traditional big players like AWS/Azure.

At a very basic level the benefit for the customer is not having massive upfront outlay on hardware, for the seller its a case of combining more than one product to keep a customer for longer

Think this is where the difference between public/private and how hybrid cloud comes in.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

TykeLike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gables View Post
    Yup, I was talking with a fella whose mantra is cloud, cloud, cloud; I mentioned security and that was taken as me building a wall and being negative about cloud, which I'm not.
    Remember the cloud is just someone else's computer!
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

sal

Contractor Among Contractors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SaaS is big everywhere - Google apps and Office365 adoption rates are skyrocketing. Exchange is notoriously unstable and the latest versions are deliberately sabotaged by MSFT to force ppl into the "security" of Office365.

IaaS is quite popular - Big web presence benefits greatly from the elasticity of the cloud. Online retailers will be either dead in the water or out of pocket without it around the holiday shopping spree periods.

PaaS in my experience is more often an on premise cloud offering for the business from the internal IT rather than consumed from a public or 3rd party cloud.

Most(all?) large companies are experimenting with on-premise/hybrid cloud, to satisfy the CIO ego if nothing else.

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Remember the cloud is just someone else's computer!
    Yup, the quote I heard was something like "it's still a datacentre"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast