• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there a way to stop a browser page dead in its tracks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to stop a browser page dead in its tracks

I am fed up with video-laden pages constantly churning away and caning the bollox off my browser, often to the extent that it fades out with the "Not Responding" message for seconds at a time (Firefox anyway - Chrome seems somewhat better in that regard.)

So I wondered if there is some browser app, or even Windows system app, that could stop the rendering of a page and suspend all related process after a configurable interval from when the main page was first requested.

It can't be that difficult surely. I mean, given enough time and effort, I could probably cobble together some sort of browser myself from various bits and pieces of open-source software.

As well as easing the viewing of these rogue pages, I imagine a stop/start facility like this (or more generally a "slow-motion rendering" mode) might be useful for web development.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

If you use process explorer you can suspend a process if that helps.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Adblock?

Comment

Also...
        https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1103127
        How to Stop Auto-Playing HTML5 Videos in Your Web Browser

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

If you use process explorer you can suspend a process if that helps.
          But would that still allow one to view a page in the browser, and use the slider bar to reposition it?

Ideally I'd like a solution where the browser was still displaying the page, with basic controls (including link-clicking) still available, but no "autonomous" activity beavering away at the same time.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If it's advertising crap causing you grief, install Ghostery. I can even visit my local newspaper's website now! Previously that crippled my browser with dozens of sodding advertising and tracking scripts.

https://www.ghostery.com/our-solutio...ser-extension/

FWIW, hitting the Esc key is the equivalent of the prominent "Stop" button browsers used to have back in Netscape Navigator days; but nowadays, if the scripts have started, it's probably too late already.

Comment

adblock plus = will stop most ads (or other things you decide to include)
              ghostery = stops cookie based tracking (won't help much with what you're describing)
              if you want to go hardcore = noscript (half the interwebs won't work anymore if you just turn it on, takes a lot of tweaking to make the user experience acceptable, but it has the potential to pragmatically make your browser stop executing code from pages, that means pretty much an html/css only experience)

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer1k View Post
                adblock plus = will stop most ads (or other things you decide to include)
                ghostery = stops cookie based tracking (won't help much with what you're describing)
                if you want to go hardcore = noscript (half the interwebs won't work anymore if you just turn it on, takes a lot of tweaking to make the user experience acceptable, but it has the potential to pragmatically make your browser stop executing code from pages, that means pretty much an html/css only experience)
                No, Ghostery blocks ads too. Hence my recommendation to use it for ad blocking

Comment

Working...
                X