• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VOIP phone with normal landline number?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOIP phone with normal landline number?

I'm a bit confused by the use of VOIP phones in the home. My daughter is moving into a new apartment that has no phone line. The apartment has a 500mbps fibre internet connection and I understand you're supposed to connect a phone to this. I think you're supposed to connect the VOIP phone to the network at the router. But how are calls made and received? How do you get a land line number allocated to the VOIP phone? Are the calls and the number free or paid for? It's pretty basic stuff but I'm finding it rather confusing to get to grips with. Thanks.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

You can get a phone number via sipgate, vonage or many others...

Most nowadays will want a regular monthly payment...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      You can get a phone number via sipgate, vonage or many others...

Most nowadays will want a regular monthly payment...
      Ah, I see. Sort of like BT only without the line rental then. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        I'm a bit confused by the use of VOIP phones in the home. My daughter is moving into a new apartment that has no phone line. The apartment has a 500mbps fibre internet connection and I understand you're supposed to connect a phone to this. I think you're supposed to connect the VOIP phone to the network at the router. But how are calls made and received? How do you get a land line number allocated to the VOIP phone? Are the calls and the number free or paid for? It's pretty basic stuff but I'm finding it rather confusing to get to grips with. Thanks.
        For a while I didnt have a landline, I used a Skype Dial in number with a dedicated handset, turned out to be pain in the arse as Skype also being installed on my mobile, laptop and tablet everything rang at the same time
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          For a while I didnt have a landline, I used a Skype Dial in number with a dedicated handset, turned out to be pain in the arse as Skype also being installed on my mobile, laptop and tablet everything rang at the same time
          Thanks for the tip. Daughter is an Apple fan so she doesn't use Skype, but good point, I'll bear it in mind.

Comment

I have used sipgate for the last 8 years - they give you a free number and there is no contract so it's pay as you go and their call rates are really good. I hook up the service to a SIP phone in the house, I use an app called telephone on the Mac and use 3cx on the mobile - all hook onto the sipgate service. For safe measure, i also have it forward calls to my mobile after 3 rings if I am offline on all platforms. This results in a lot of PPI calls

Comment

Thanks, you have confirmed what I concluded on this subject.

Comment

Working...
              X