• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MiFi device that offers site-to-site VPN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MiFi device that offers site-to-site VPN

Is there such a thing as a portable MiFi device that can be configured to automatically use a site-to-site VPN so any device connected to it would be routed through the VPN, rather than having to configure a VPN on each and every device?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Is there such a thing as a portable MiFi device that can be configured to automatically use a site-to-site VPN so any device connected to it would be routed through the VPN, rather than having to configure a VPN on each and every device?
    Don't these Mifi 3/4G devices trap you inside the Telco's 3/4G private network? If so there's not much you can do, AIUI.

I had one in Spain and it got a private IP and routed out to the internet via the telco's gateway, same with Three in UK.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Don't these Mifi 3/4G devices trap you inside the Telco's 3/4G private network? If so there's not much you can do, AIUI.

I had one in Spain and it got a private IP and routed out to the internet via the telco's gateway, same with Three in UK.
      I can use my the VPN on my iPad, connected to my Alcatel Y800 and it be as if I was sat back at the office, I was wondering if there is something that can be done at the device level so anything that attaches to it connects back to the office automatically

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I can use my the VPN on my iPad, connected to my Alcatel Y800 and it be as if I was sat back at the office, I was wondering if there is something that can be done at the device level so anything that attaches to it connects back to the office automatically
        Yeah I was suggesting that since you can't tinker with the IP settings etc you can't get into the guts deep enough to set up the site-to-site which is obviously more core than the VPN client with more or less sits on top.

In others words I dunno!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Yeah I was suggesting that since you can't tinker with the IP settings etc you can't get into the guts deep enough to set up the site-to-site which is obviously more core than the VPN client with more or less sits on top.

In others words I dunno!!
          I was thinking are there non network devices that won't have the restrictions, and thus be a bit more "playable", for example the Y800 I am using is branded EE, but is unlocked so I can put a Three sim in it

Comment

Juniper & Sonicwall plus a mifi router ?

or FOSS with a mifi

VPN tutorial – access your network anywhere | Linux User & Developer - the Linux and FOSS mag for a GNU generation

maybe a raspberry pi job?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

MiFi as in 3/4G connection shared over WiFi?

How about:

Vigor 2860Ln 3G/4G/xDSL Router
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                MiFi as in 3/4G connection shared over WiFi?

How about:

Vigor 2860Ln 3G/4G/xDSL Router
                Falls down on the portability aspect!

Those type of routers are more for a fall back in case the ADSL goes down they can still work over LTE.

I am resigned to the fact what I want doesn't really exist

Comment

Falls down on the portability aspect!

Those type of routers are more for a fall back in case the ADSL goes down they can still work over LTE.

I am resigned to the fact what I want doesn't really exist
                  seems almost all the draytek routers can support 3/4G via USB so pick any of them.

Some of the TPlink devices are either dd-wrt or tomato compatible. So you could pick one of those and make your own.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    seems almost all the draytek routers can support 3/4G via USB so pick any of them.

Some of the TPlink devices are either dd-wrt or tomato compatible. So you could pick one of those and make your own.
                    But they also all need to be hard wired into the mains to work, with my MiFi device it runs all day of a battery which I can charge via USB

Comment

Working...
                    X