• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommendations for tip-top quality car pressure washer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for tip-top quality car pressure washer

Money no object, up to about £300.

and please don't claim I'm too lazy to do my own research, as I'm doing precisely that by posting this!

TIA
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

We have a Nilfisk one C130 or something like that. Does a good job but the hose is crap (as it is with most home models).
    Recently spent £40 to get a better hose from these guys...
    http://cleantec.biz
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Kaercher FTW!
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

My understanding has always been if you want to wash your car properly then avoid a pressure washer and use a normal hose. It's the car shampoo that should remove/loosen the dirt and use quality mittens to avoid scratching the car. Then dry off using microfiber cloth just to clean the excess water. It's the micro scratches that dull the paint work.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          My understanding has always been if you want to wash your car properly then avoid a pressure washer and use a normal hose. It's the car shampoo that should remove/loosen the dirt and use quality mittens to avoid scratching the car. Then dry off using microfiber cloth just to clean the excess water. It's the micro scratches that dull the paint work.

Partially correct, swirl marks and marring caused by fine dirt being pulled over the paint causes dulling of the finish however a normal hose is not going to help with that.

The "Correct" car wash procedure should be :
          1. Rinse the car with the jet wash to remove larger lumps and start to get tougher dirt wet/loose.
          2. Snow foam the car (you NEED a jet wash for this) and leave to dwell for 5-10 mins.
          3. Rinse again with the jet wash.
          4. Clean the car using the Two bucket method (One bucket for clean soapy water, one for rinsing the mitt - the dirty should not be used on the car) - Use a third separate bucket for wheels.
          5. Rinse again - THIS is where its beneficial to use a hose, as if the car has decent wax on it the water will sheet off making drying easier.
          6. Blow or towel dry - with a microfiber towel, never a normal bath towel, never a shammy and never a blade (Squeegy).

You can also use a citrus pre wash/TFR before the mitt wash to get rid of more crud.

Personally I don't see the point of spending loads on a pressure washer - too much pressure can damage the paint (lifting edges around stone chips etc) so I use a Karcher K2 and spend the real money on decent products like Poorboys shampoo chemical guys stripper scent air freshener (Yes this is a real thing).

You might also be interested in looking into claying your car to get even more dirt off and giving you an even better finish.

Of all the weird hobby's to tell people about - I think "Cleaning my car" is the one that gets the strangest looks!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Money no object, up to about £300.

and please don't claim I'm too lazy to do my own research, as I'm doing precisely that by posting this!

TIA
            Drink loads of water and hold you pee in as long as possible.

Cost: nothing.

Comment

I get a local Polish lass to clean mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                Partially correct, swirl marks and marring caused by fine dirt being pulled over the paint causes dulling of the finish however a normal hose is not going to help with that.

The "Correct" car wash procedure should be :
                1. Rinse the car with the jet wash to remove larger lumps and start to get tougher dirt wet/loose.
                2. Snow foam the car (you NEED a jet wash for this) and leave to dwell for 5-10 mins.
                3. Rinse again with the jet wash.
                4. Clean the car using the Two bucket method (One bucket for clean soapy water, one for rinsing the mitt - the dirty should not be used on the car) - Use a third separate bucket for wheels.
                5. Rinse again - THIS is where its beneficial to use a hose, as if the car has decent wax on it the water will sheet off making drying easier.
                6. Blow or towel dry - with a microfiber towel, never a normal bath towel, never a shammy and never a blade (Squeegy).

You can also use a citrus pre wash/TFR before the mitt wash to get rid of more crud.

Personally I don't see the point of spending loads on a pressure washer - too much pressure can damage the paint (lifting edges around stone chips etc) so I use a Karcher K2 and spend the real money on decent products like Poorboys shampoo chemical guys stripper scent air freshener (Yes this is a real thing).

You might also be interested in looking into claying your car to get even more dirt off and giving you an even better finish.

Of all the weird hobby's to tell people about - I think "Cleaning my car" is the one that gets the strangest looks!
                Really sad, but since I bought a Porsche I wash my car every couple of weeks and wax every few months. I find it really relaxing, though my neighbors think I'm an obsessed tit.

So I agree with what you have said apart from the "Snow foam the car", cause i don't know what you mean. When do you use the clay, I've got some but not used it yet?

God, I am so sad, and so happy this isn't in general.

Comment

My last Alfa was wrapped in plastic at the showroom. When I washed it, I was washing dirt off the plastic, not the polish underneath. Cost over £2k to do it, but the car had a showroom finish when I sold it.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If you decide to buy a pressure washer, make sure that you buy one that has a water cooled, metallic (aluminium) pump. The cheapo ones are usually air cooled and burn out... Karcher K4 is water-cooled for example, but K2 isn't.
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X