• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virgin Media router

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Have had the Meraki AP for a few weeks now and am really impressed with it, range seems to be comparable to the Apple Airport Extreme, which is much better than the BT Home Hub 5.

Have it configured for 3 wireless SSID's, main one, kids one and guest one, the controls allows different DNS for each SSID so the main one is just the standard ISP DNS, but the kids one routes though OpenDNS which has filtering on content etc, the Guest SSID is isolated from the main LAN so they can't access any of the servers/printers/NAS boxes etc, also have each kids set up as a group policy which restricts the time during the day that they are on their devies, youngest kids gets locked out earlier than the eldest, would have loved to have an "allowance" so each kid gets say 2 hours a day which they eat into but that's a bit blue sky thinking.

Still thinking of getting one of their MX routers for site-to-site VPN
    How did you do this? I have the standard Virgin Media 2Ghz and 5Ghz, how do you get a third one? Just create it?

qh

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
    Sounds like a good set up. I just got the AP and wanted a switch as I was now running the Virgin router in modem mode. I found another webinar where they give the 8 port MX free. Catch is it comes with a 3 year license then they start to make their money back.
    Wonder if you can get the switch if you have the free AP already?

I am going to be a MX64HW router, suppose if I can replace the Netgear switch with a Meraki one it will integrate better, although I only use the Netgear for more ports rather than as an actual switch

Leave a comment:

• Einstein Jnr
    replied
    Sounds like a good set up. I just got the AP and wanted a switch as I was now running the Virgin router in modem mode. I found another webinar where they give the 8 port MX free. Catch is it comes with a 3 year license then they start to make their money back.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Have had the Meraki AP for a few weeks now and am really impressed with it, range seems to be comparable to the Apple Airport Extreme, which is much better than the BT Home Hub 5.

Have it configured for 3 wireless SSID's, main one, kids one and guest one, the controls allows different DNS for each SSID so the main one is just the standard ISP DNS, but the kids one routes though OpenDNS which has filtering on content etc, the Guest SSID is isolated from the main LAN so they can't access any of the servers/printers/NAS boxes etc, also have each kids set up as a group policy which restricts the time during the day that they are on their devies, youngest kids gets locked out earlier than the eldest, would have loved to have an "allowance" so each kid gets say 2 hours a day which they eat into but that's a bit blue sky thinking.

Still thinking of getting one of their MX routers for site-to-site VPN

Leave a comment:

• Einstein Jnr
    replied
    Finally managed to get through to an over enthusiastic sales rep who has now posted it out. Can't wait to ditch the VM router. I have the old super hub and they upped my speed from 30MB to 50MB but only seem to get that when wired. Hopefully this AP will sort it out. Have been looking at the Asus ones for a while but didn't want to spend the cash. Now I sit and wait for the postman

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Long time lurker, first time poster. Actually used the info from the community to successfully transition to contracting three months ago. Anyway, I attended the Tuesday Meraki cloud session to get the free router. There is some dude who needs to be called after the session to confirm some details - I have tried calling several times and it goes to an automated message. If I select sales I get an automated message that sales are not available - I have tried for the past two days - they took my time, I want a router in return
    When I booked the webinar I got a contact from Meraki, who I then spoke to directly after the call, I got a real sales call lined up which I think is happening tomorrow as I am actually interested in buying something

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Long time lurker, first time poster. Actually used the info from the community to successfully transition to contracting three months ago. Anyway, I attended the Tuesday Meraki cloud session to get the free router. There is some dude who needs to be called after the session to confirm some details - I have tried calling several times and it goes to an automated message. If I select sales I get an automated message that sales are not available - I have tried for the past two days - they took my time, I want a router in return
    Guess it depends on where you are in the country - I had an email asking if the local guy could be of any help, so I said no thanks and he sent me a router the same day.

Leave a comment:

• Einstein Jnr
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Try ExpressVPN, I used that in Russia, watching Coronation Street live on on the MacBook, HDMI to the telly in the hotel room - flawless.
    I have OSX Server VPN at the moment, which wors fine on my MacBook and iPhone (surprisingly not my iPad though), but I want Site-to-site, we have a smart TV with all the iPlayer apps etc. also at the router level means any device attached to it will work through the VPN automatically

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    The AP won't do much for me, but interested in the MX range, site-to-site VPN wit the house in Spain would relieve a headache when trying to use the likes of iPlayer etc
    Try ExpressVPN, I used that in Russia, watching Coronation Street live on on the MacBook, HDMI to the telly in the hotel room - flawless.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X