• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

7200rpm HD vs a 5400rpm Hybrid Drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I think I read that Samsung storage division is actually owned by Seagate.

A friend told me that SSD are more susceptible to shock than a HDD. They "break" pretty easily if dropped.
    Neither is true, Samsung are the leader in SSD research and sales, the traditional HDD manufacturers like Seagate and WD are clinging to the HDDs and under investing in SSD:

A Look At The SSD Market: Where Do Seagate and Western Digital Stand? - Forbes

It baffles me how some can think that SSD which is physically little different from the other components in a laptop like RAM and Motherboard can break from a fall, under a conditions that would keep an HDD intact...

Comment

A friend told me that SSD are more susceptible to shock than a HDD. They "break" pretty easily if dropped.
      I would have thought the reverse it true, especially if the HDD is spinning at the time.
      Last edited by Bozwell; 12 June 2015, 10:21. Reason: typo

Comment

That's quite ridiculous. An SSD is a circuit board with chips soldered to it; an HDD is a machine with moving parts aligned to incredibly fine tolerances. Which seems more likely to break when subjected to a shock?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          That's quite ridiculous. An SSD is a circuit board with chips soldered to it; an HDD is a machine with moving parts aligned to incredibly fine tolerances. Which seems more likely to break when subjected to a shock?
          Yup, sounds logical. but this mate had personal experience where either the SSD was dropped or the machine was dropped and the SSD stopped working afterward.

Anyway, it does look like no 7200rpm drive will fit in 7mm so my decision is kinda made up for me. Samsung Evo 850 are available for £300 all in.
          Last edited by lilelvis2000; 12 June 2015, 09:59.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Samsung Evo 850 are available for £300 all in.
            I like the Samsung SSDs. One tip, once you've got it set up install the Samsung Magician software and get it to check for firmware upgrades - the upgrades can be to do with stability and or speed issues identified since the drive launched. Luckily, the Samsung software makes it a doddle to check and upgrade - so much easier than the Crucial way of manually checking, downloading, creating bootable USB, etc.

Comment

Amazing. I searching t'internet and picked up the Samsung EVO 850 1tb for £250 off Amazon. Crikey!
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

If anyone else comes across this thread, another cracking SSD is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT10...dp_ob_title_ce

Comment

Here's a decent guide on the clone. Apparently there are a couple of things to look out for including aligning the partition table and turning off indexing. How To Migrate Windows 7 to a Solid State Drive

Comment

Don't forget that if you need to encrypt your laptop storage, and you want to use an ssd as main data storage, setup the encryption on the ssd *before* you load any sensitive data on it.
                    Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Working...
                    X