• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is techradar safe for downloads

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is techradar safe for downloads

Need to help someone remotely clean some toolbar browser bollox off their machine and need to point them to somewhere safe to download tools from.

TIA

Are they on download.com?

I've not looked at techradar before.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Is download.com fairly non-malware reputable then? If so, cheers!

Comment

Do NOT use download.com. Their stuff is riddled with spyware and nasties.

Comment

Here’s What Happens When You Install the Top 10 Download.com Apps

Comment

Cheers rsingh.

Is there anywhere you can point to that has less infested crapware.

Comment

depends what you are trying to remove.
              I usually find a complete reinstall of a system with a data backup is less painless and more efficient that trying to remove this rubbish. Once rebuilt, if using windows, install avast and use either firefox or chrome as a browser and install some extensions that filter crap out and prevent hijacking.
              Ive wasted too many hours trying to rid machines of this stuff in my job and personally so i just do the above now for people.

Comment

Originally posted by veroli View Post
                depends what you are trying to remove.
                I usually find a complete reinstall of a system with a data backup is less painless and more efficient that trying to remove this rubbish. Once rebuilt, if using windows, install avast and use either firefox or chrome as a browser and install some extensions that filter crap out and prevent hijacking.
                Ive wasted too many hours trying to rid machines of this stuff in my job and personally so i just do the above now for people.
                WHS

Also make sure that their accounts are non admin.

Comment

Problem is I need to talk them through it remotely. I want to say go to this site, search for removetulip.exe, download and run etc

Not ideal I know, hence asking on here.

Comment

You could restore to factory settings using the recovery partition. Googling the make and model of the machine should get you some instructions. Once you have reset, applied the gazillion updates and the MS security suite, I'd educate your mate in regards to safe browsing.

Comment

Working...
                    X