• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommendations for sturdy decent quality alarm padlock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for sturdy decent quality alarm padlock

I'm hoping there are a few bikers here (motor or even push) who might know of a decent quality alarm padlock, i.e. a padlock which beeps loudly when tampered with when the key is not promptly inserted.

I bought one on Amazon, but the quality was laughable - It bleeped non-stop, but was silenced for good by gently tapping the base on a table, and on unscrewing the base I found that was because the tap had dislodged a wire loop which the thing apparently relied on to work at all. So in summary, it was utterly useless and I've had to send it back.

Willing to spend up to a couple of hundred or so for a tip-top quality model, and bulk or weight isn't a problem as it is actually for a garage door rather than a bike.

Failing a padlock, an alarm lock would do just as well.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Does anyone, and I mean ANYONE, pay a blind bit of notice to an alarm?

Everyone I know has the same reaction to a car alarm going off and that's "For God's sake, get that fixed!". Not "Oh, someone's stealing my neighbour's car"

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
      Does anyone, and I mean ANYONE, pay a blind bit of notice to an alarm? ...
      Fair point - I would if I heard it, but on reflection the garage is a fair way from the house, and I might well not hear a padlock bleeping.

Perhaps a more extensive solution (literally) is called for, i.e. an IR beam system like the ones the bad guys (or was it good guys?) in Mission Impossible had to hop skip and jump over:

Driveway Alarms | Perimeter Alarms | Wireless Perimeter Security |

Comment

I thought the approved method of looking after an expensive bike, in the garage, was to have a large hook deeply embedded in the concrete floor and get one of stupidly heavy duty chains to secure it?

Not that I know anything about it, but I know people who use the above method.

Comment

If it's in a garage, why not chain/ bolt the bike as normal, but alarm the door?

Comment

It's the whole interior of the garage, rather than a bike or anything inside it specifically, and the padlock would be on the outside door.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
              If it's in a garage, why not chain/ bolt the bike as normal, but alarm the door?
              Hmm, alarming the door would be good, as long as it wasn't too invonvenient to turn off the alarm when I wanted to go in.

OK, I'll change the question to "Can anyone recommend a decent door alarm system that doesn't need fitting by a professional?"

Comment

Working...
              X