• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Orange Genie

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Orange Genie"

Collapse

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Most umbrellas will more than likely offer two options on holiday pay; one to accrue it, so keeping it aside for you, and the other is to roll it up, whereby you see it come off on the payslip and back on on the same payslip, then there are no funds available when you do take annual leave.

Leave a comment:

• Great Britten
    replied
    Originally posted by hobnob View Post

Basically, there are 2 ways for umbrellas to handle holiday pay:
    1. They pay you the same money whether you're working or not (similar to a permanent job), i.e. they put 12.07% of your taxable pay into a separate fund and dip into that fund on bank holidays etc.
    2. They give that holiday pay to you as you earn it, then it's up to you to save some money for a rainy day.

Either way, they're not stealing the money. However, with option 1, you need to be clear about what happens if you end the contract with unused holiday days, e.g. you might stay on as an employee of the umbrella company for an extra week to get that money.
    I've actually spoken to OG now and they have confirmed that no holiday pay is taken at all. I misunderstood my payslip after reading a previous poster claiming that OG steal holiday pay. Not true, it seems.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by Great Britten View Post
    Sorry if I misunderstand you but are you saying they're pocketing 12.07% of my taxable pay?
    Basically, there are 2 ways for umbrellas to handle holiday pay:
    1. They pay you the same money whether you're working or not (similar to a permanent job), i.e. they put 12.07% of your taxable pay into a separate fund and dip into that fund on bank holidays etc.
    2. They give that holiday pay to you as you earn it, then it's up to you to save some money for a rainy day.

Either way, they're not stealing the money. However, with option 1, you need to be clear about what happens if you end the contract with unused holiday days, e.g. you might stay on as an employee of the umbrella company for an extra week to get that money.

Leave a comment:

• Great Britten
    replied
    Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
    Your hourly or daily rate is deemed to include an element of holiday pay (12.07% of the taxable pay). When calculating holiday entitlement, we assume as a standard that 5.6 weeks of the year will not be worked. The pay is therefore calculated as 52 weeks minus 5.6 weeks is 46.4 weeks. 5.6 divided by 46.4 is 12.07%.
    Sorry if I misunderstand you but are you saying they're pocketing 12.07% of my taxable pay? That can't be right. In my first week they put the whole invoice through as PAYE & the second week they did salary sacrifice and left minimum wage - I would have expected to see a much larger disparity between the amount of holiday pay taken for those 2 periods if that had been the case.

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Your hourly or daily rate is deemed to include an element of holiday pay (12.07% of the taxable pay). When calculating holiday entitlement, we assume as a standard that 5.6 weeks of the year will not be worked. The pay is therefore calculated as 52 weeks minus 5.6 weeks is 46.4 weeks. 5.6 divided by 46.4 is 12.07%.

Leave a comment:

• Great Britten
    replied
    Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
    That's the bit they are keeping aside for when you take holiday, just make sure you use it up.
    I really don't understand this holiday pay thing - it's been so long since I've been a permie.

Am I right in assuming that I accrue holiday pay for each day worked and going forward I'd be entitled to x no of days paid holiday based on my entitlement. Except in this case I won't be getting anything at all as the Umbrella has snaffled it all?

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Holiday Pay accrued £88 for the week in question.
    That's the bit they are keeping aside for when you take holiday, just make sure you use it up.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Remember to get on the correct tax code, otherwise a correction in 8 months time will leave you short

Leave a comment:

• Great Britten
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

It’s not - does your payslip show a break down of employer fees or is it one gross figure.
    Oh. Yes, it is there. Holiday Pay accrued £88 for the week in question. Also seems to be a deduction for an apprenticeship levy.

I was blinded by the whole Salary Sacrifice business & not having a lot of time to get onboarded with someone.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Do they? I had no idea - it doesn't seem to be detailed on my payslip - they take a cut of about £20 per week in my case. I guess it's swallowed up in that.
    It’s not - does your payslip show a break down of employer fees or is it one gross figure.

Leave a comment:

• Great Britten
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Or pick another umbrella that doesn’t steal holiday pay

sorry I know it’s too late for you but that’s a heads up for others
    Do they? I had no idea - it doesn't seem to be detailed on my payslip - they take a cut of about £20 per week in my case. I guess it's swallowed up in that.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Or pick another umbrella that doesn’t steal holiday pay

sorry I know it’s too late for you but that’s a heads up for others

Leave a comment:

• Great Britten
    started a topic Orange Genie

Orange Genie

My experiences onboarding with Orange Genie have been a mixed bag.

Comms are terrible and I was under the impression that my salary sacrifice had been set up until I see my first invoice has been processed 100% PAYE despite the fact I had filled in all their forms to get this set up at the time of registration.

Just a heads up, I guess, make sure you get confirmation that your salary sacrifice is set up before your first payment is processed and get it in writing rather than accepting verbal assurances as I did.

Working...
X