• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Umbrella fees

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Umbrella fees"

Collapse

• Jarman
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I think the OP is getting confused between timesheets and invoicing.

A lot of companies will insist on weekly timesheets (especially on hourly rates) as it's hard to forget what people were doing earlier that week where monthly timesheets can have "memory" issues

The Invoicing and payment schedule will determine what the fee is
    I always got confused by that. My colleagues are using an umbrella company that does not include their fees on the payslip, can the umbrella do that?

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    Originally posted by philgo View Post
    I'm not getting confused at all eek. I'm just asking if there is a standard practice and/or feedback from people working with Brollys.
    From answers, it doesn't look like that there is one unique clear answer. Not surprising anyway

Yes timesheet frequency is not automatically linked to payment frequency. So agree no discussions here but he shouldn't be my problem anyway.
    My contract with brolly is mentioning weekly payment versus I am paid monthly. Where else should I check payment frequency?
    Brolly told me I would be charged weekly but I'm charged monthly. Where should I check that? Only proof I have is introductory email.
    If I take 2 weeks off they told me they would still charged me the monthly fee. Is that common practice and fair?

Thanks
    The issue is dependent on the contract between the agency and the umbrella.

If the agency pays monthly, the umbrella should be paying you monthly and charging the monthly fee (which is lower than weekly fees because more work).

Seems unlikely the umbrella will get paid monthly but pay you weekly.

Get the agency to sort it out with the umbrella.

Meanwhile, if they have an online portal check the contract set up there or review any other docs they sent to you. The initial illustrations mean very little as far as the umbrella is concerned.

Leave a comment:

• philgo
    replied
    I'm not getting confused at all eek. I'm just asking if there is a standard practice and/or feedback from people working with Brollys.
    From answers, it doesn't look like that there is one unique clear answer. Not surprising anyway

Yes timesheet frequency is not automatically linked to payment frequency. So agree no discussions here but he shouldn't be my problem anyway.
    My contract with brolly is mentioning weekly payment versus I am paid monthly. Where else should I check payment frequency?
    Brolly told me I would be charged weekly but I'm charged monthly. Where should I check that? Only proof I have is introductory email.
    If I take 2 weeks off they told me they would still charged me the monthly fee. Is that common practice and fair?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    As Eek said the timesheet frequency may not reflect the payment frequency, one of the larger agencies also does weekly timesheets but 30 days in arrears, so that adds more confusion. As for what is charged that is down to the umbrella company, they will have standard weekly or monthly margins, but ask them how it will work if you only work 2 weeks in 4 and see what they say! We only charge based on the weeks worked.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I think the OP is getting confused between timesheets and invoicing.

A lot of companies will insist on weekly timesheets (especially on hourly rates) as it's hard to forget what people were doing earlier that week where monthly timesheets can have "memory" issues

The Invoicing and payment schedule will determine what the fee is

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Thank you for sharing - had a look at my contract with Sapphire and that's the same as yours (weekly in arrears). But does it automatically mean that the fee should be also charged weekly? And I'm paid monthly not weekly actually...
    If the contract says weekly then you should be paid weekly. Alternately, they should issue you with a new employment contract for monthly payment.

Either way, the umbrella fee will come out of each payslip, i.e. weekly or monthly.

Leave a comment:

• philgo
    replied
    Originally posted by hobnob View Post

NLUK is correct. I worked through Sapphire a few years ago, and they sent me a document to sign digitally (via Signable). This document included an employment contract, from page 3 onwards; your documentation might be different, but have a look through and you should find something.

Looking at my contract, section 5 was Remuneration. In particular:

"5.2. The Employee shall keep a timesheet record of the hours spent performing the Services. The timesheet must show the number of hours the Employee has worked each day and be signed by both the Employee and the Client. The Employee must submit a copy of each timesheet to the Company. The Employee can only claim payments for hours worked that are supported by correctly completed and authorised timesheets. Original timesheets must be forwarded to the Customer.
    5.3. Payment will be made weekly in arrears directly into your nominated bank account on Friday of each week in respect of the hours worked during the preceding week, subject to deduction of income Tax and National Insurance."

Again, it might be a bit different for you, but it should be in there somewhere.

Thank you for sharing - had a look at my contract with Sapphire and that's the same as yours (weekly in arrears). But does it automatically mean that the fee should be also charged weekly? And I'm paid monthly not weekly actually...

5.3. The Employee shall keep a timesheet record of the hours spent performing the Services. The timesheet must show the number of hours
    the Employee has worked each day and be signed by both the Employee and the Client. The Employee must submit a copy of each timesheet
    to the Company. The Employee can only claim payments for hours worked that are supported by correctly completed and authorised
    timesheets. Original timesheets must be forwarded to the Customer.
    5.4. Payment will be made weekly in arrears directly into your nominated bank account on Friday of each week in respect of the hours worked
    during the preceding week, subject to deduction of income Tax and National Insurance.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It should be reflected in your payment schedule with the Umbrella.
    NLUK is correct. I worked through Sapphire a few years ago, and they sent me a document to sign digitally (via Signable). This document included an employment contract, from page 3 onwards; your documentation might be different, but have a look through and you should find something.

Looking at my contract, section 5 was Remuneration. In particular:

"5.2. The Employee shall keep a timesheet record of the hours spent performing the Services. The timesheet must show the number of hours the Employee has worked each day and be signed by both the Employee and the Client. The Employee must submit a copy of each timesheet to the Company. The Employee can only claim payments for hours worked that are supported by correctly completed and authorised timesheets. Original timesheets must be forwarded to the Customer.
    5.3. Payment will be made weekly in arrears directly into your nominated bank account on Friday of each week in respect of the hours worked during the preceding week, subject to deduction of income Tax and National Insurance."

Again, it might be a bit different for you, but it should be in there somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Yep indeed so I need to check billing schedule with the agency. All I know is that I'm doing weekly time sheet against client and agency but it doesn't mean that the the agency pay the umbrella weekly....I'm assuming monthly but will check that.
    It should be reflected in your payment schedule with the Umbrella. The payment timescales between the agent and brolly technically isn't any business of yours as it's their contract, all you are interested in is what your contract with the brolly says. You schedule is obviously based on the agent/brolly yes but you'll have to check your payment schedule with the brolly and just make sure they are replicating to you what they have in their contract so start with the brolly and get them to go up the chain.

Leave a comment:

• philgo
    replied
    Yep indeed so I need to check billing schedule with the agency. All I know is that I'm doing weekly time sheet against client and agency but it doesn't mean that the the agency pay the umbrella weekly....I'm assuming monthly but will check that.

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Yep, all down to the agency or end clients billing schedule. If they are paying weekly to the brolly, then you will be paid weekly, if they are paid monthly, you are paid monthly.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Have already asked them but it's very unclear....umbrella transparency...;(
    Was initially told that I would be charged weekly and now they are saying it's monthly.
    So just wanted feedback from other guys really.
    The answer will be based on the way you are billing and being paid - if weekly it will be the weekly fee, if monthly the monthly fee , if fortnightly it will depend on the umbrellas policg

Leave a comment:

• philgo
    replied
    Have already asked them but it's very unclear....umbrella transparency...;(
    Was initially told that I would be charged weekly and now they are saying it's monthly.
    So just wanted feedback from other guys really.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    So I have started a new gig inside IR 35 with Sapphire as Umbrella company. Didn't have the possibility to chose my Umbrella.

1- Do you pay the fee weekly or monthly versus number of days worked over a month?
    2- Are you charged when off on holidays?

What's the current practice? I am assuming that you pay the full charge whatever number of days you have worked in a month but would like to double check that with concrete feedback. Thanks
    Ask the umbrella they are the ones who are deducting the fee but it will be the full weekly or monthly fee depending on how you are billing regardless of days worked unless you end up below the minimum wage

Leave a comment:

• philgo
    started a topic Umbrella fees

Umbrella fees

So I have started a new gig inside IR 35 with Sapphire as Umbrella company. Didn't have the possibility to chose my Umbrella.

1- Do you pay the fee weekly or monthly versus number of days worked over a month?
    2- Are you charged when off on holidays?

What's the current practice? I am assuming that you pay the full charge whatever number of days you have worked in a month but would like to double check that with concrete feedback. Thanks

Working...
X