• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Umbrella and tax return"

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by AutomationGuy View Post
    Higher rate is what you pay for income between £31,786 to £150,000. People with the standard Personal Allowance start paying this rate on income over £42,385. I can't find any HMRC/GOV web page which states I need to submit a tax return because I'm higher rate tax payer (as long as my income is under £100,000). Can you please provide a link, which says the opposite?
    The guidance is here. You are correct that it doesn't state with certainty you must.

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-t...d-a-tax-return

However if you have ANY other income then you should seek clarification - as per the guidance.

Example £1 of savings income will strictly require a return to pay the additional 15p (yes I know the guidance talks about 2.5k, but if less contact helpline).

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    You won't need to submit a SA tax return if you work with an umbrella company unless you have income from a source other than your employment with them e.g. from a pension

Leave a comment:

• AutomationGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you are a higher rate tax payer you are expected to submit one.
    Higher rate is what you pay for income between £31,786 to £150,000. People with the standard Personal Allowance start paying this rate on income over £42,385. I can't find any HMRC/GOV web page which states I need to submit a tax return because I'm higher rate tax payer (as long as my income is under £100,000). Can you please provide a link, which says the opposite?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If you are a higher rate tax payer you are expected to submit one.

If however the tax office decides that you don't need to do one they will tell you.

Leave a comment:

• AutomationGuy
    started a topic Umbrella and tax return

Umbrella and tax return

I recently read somewhere (sorry, I don't remember the URL) that if I work via umbrella, I need to submit annual tax return. It sounds weird to me, I know no reason why I should do that - unless I check some other checkbox, like income above certain level.

Anyone here knows if working via umbrella implies the need to do self assessment?

Working...
X