• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "InstallShield LE in VS 2012 - How to get relative paths to dependencies"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Looks like I'm going to have to roll up my sleeves and learn Wix....

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    After a couple of days of plodding away at trying to create a deployment solution using InstallShield LE I've come to the conclusion that it's a complete waste of space.

You can't even do half the stuff you could do with the old style VS installer projects and they were pretty neanderthal (ISTR a problem where it would always evaluate the program files directory as c:\program files even if it was on d:\ & you had to edit the setting via Orca once the installer was built).

Since you mentioned this, and the fact that I have had to start leaning WiX as well, there is a nifty tool called WiXEdit, which allows you to create installers using WiX with powerful options like checking for pre-requisities etc. Link: WixEdit
    And this:

http://blogs.planetsoftware.com.au/p...nd-visual.aspx
    Last edited by tranceporter; 19 March 2013, 12:29.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    After a couple of days of plodding away at trying to create a deployment solution using InstallShield LE I've come to the conclusion that it's a complete waste of space.

You can't even do half the stuff you could do with the old style VS installer projects and they were pretty neanderthal (ISTR a problem where it would always evaluate the program files directory as c:\program files even if it was on d:\ & you had to edit the setting via Orca once the installer was built).

Leave a comment:

• InstallShield LE in VS 2012 - How to get relative paths to dependencies

Putting together an installer for a windows service & have to use the built in InstallShield LE that comes with VS (a steaming pile of cack if I've ever seen one...).

I just can't work out how to include dependencies - I get the config file & exe included ok by selecting the primary output of the project but the only way I can see to add another dll is to navigate to it & add it. This then leaves you with a hard coded path which is no good.

I'm sure there's an easy way around this but I'll be buggered if I can find it.

Working...
X