• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Early adopter of common sense"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    Cancel your internet connection
    Duh yeah. I should.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Any other fine suggestions?
    Cancel your internet connection

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
    Nice. Here are a few more suggestions for you:
    • Rip out your indoor loo, plop in a hole in the ground and wipe your backside with a fistful of leaves. You might also be able to re-use the paper from your notebook system.
    • Cut off all running water to your house and collect rain water in a large barrel from your gutters.
    • Fashion your own clothing from debris found around the garden and neighbours dustbins.
    • Catch local wildlife including small birds and rodents for food and cook on open twig fire.
    Good luck!
    I have in the past kept my own birds and eaten them.
    Wearing debris is an organised activity, it's called a charity shop.
    I have lived for 5 years in a house off the mains, but I did have a well. Collecting rainwater can be useful though.
    Er, I did once have to wipe my bum with 5000 Bolivian Pesos. I had run out of bogroll, which in fact was more expensive per sheet than 1000-peso notes anyway.

Any other fine suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    You'll be in to that 13 folders thing soon enough...
    43 folders. That really misses the point.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Like the good life? Not that I ever saw what was good about it........
    Felicity Kendal?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
    • Rip out your indoor loo, plop in a hole in the ground and wipe your backside with a fistful of leaves. You might also be able to re-use the paper from your notebook system.
    • Cut off all running water to your house and collect rain water in a large barrel from your gutters.
    • Fashion your own clothing from debris found around the garden and neighbours dustbins.
    • Catch local wildlife including small birds and rodents for food and cook on open twig fire.
    Good luck!
    Like the good life? Not that I ever saw what was good about it........

Leave a comment:

• TheRefactornator
    replied
    Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    You'll be in to that 13 folders thing soon enough...

Leave a comment:

• expat
    started a topic Early adopter of common sense

Early adopter of common sense

I'm deliberately making some technology changes:

1. I'm cutting back on plastic, and carrying cash. ISTM that losing a few hundred from my pocket would be less painful than having one or more of my cards stolen or cloned. Probably less likely too. This applies especially in filling stations.

2. I'm going back to paper. My 3rd and last Palm is in the desk drawer. I use a small diary/notebook, and indeed the backs of envelopes. This way I don't have shopping lists from last year with me all the time. I have come to realise that's good, and let go.
    If I need a reminder (and after years of PDAs my brain has given up on reminding me) I set a task on the moby, with a 1 or 2 word reminder, not a long document describing exactly what I'm going to do.
    Time comes, alarm sounds, I do the action and delete the alarm. Gone for ever.

3. I'm going back to voice. The phone gets you to a human, who can often help you better than the website.
    If I can't get to a human, or only to a call centre that acts like a sadistic sociological experiment, I don't deal with the company.

Next: I'll stop wasting my life on stupid bulletin boards. OK, soon, not yet.

Working...
X